Operating system not found? FIXED

andymaxi1
andymaxi1 Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi do you have the error Operating system not found?  usually after messing with the bios! of maybe another problem causing this? well you have come to the right place.

Instructions on how to re flash your bios to the latest update and also original settings on this difficult! to fathom out laptop. so you can boot into windows, also re enter the bios if needed.

You will need to re-flash the bios. Which as you know is not too easy on this laptop.

firstly on another working pc do the following.

1: go to the acer driver web page and download the latest bios.  uk link  http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers (for uk)

2: save the zip file.

3: make a new folder on your desktop called bios then extract the zip file (bios) to a the new folder

4: insert a usb pendrive into your pc-make sure its empty then format it.

5: copy the zip file to the new folder.

6: using winrar or another zip extractor- right click on the zip file and select "extract here" a new folder will appear.

7: open the new folder and right click on the application (VA410208) in my case and select "extract here" once extracted highlight everything in that folder and  press copy.

8: open the usb pen drive and click paste, there will be a list eg: bios.cap,cmd,launce/readme etc once pasted.

Now for the flash bit.

9: insert a windows disk into laptop and also the usb pendrive then re-boot

10: it may take a few reboots but keep doing it until it says "boot from disk"

11: when loaded click "repair"  not install

12: click command prompt (CMD)

13: it will begin with V: in the window but you are going to look which letter the for the usb pendrive is

14: start with A:  then B:   C:   D:  stop when it stays at the letter you put in ie:   B:   and it stays at B: in window (if

it isnt a drive it will revert back to V:

15: example if it stays at   D:   you should type    D: DIR   (no space after the : )  ---this will list what you have on that drive - you are looking for the pen drive and are looking for a list like this

D:

Bios.cap

cmd

launch.bat

once you find the drive with that in - you are in the correct drive for the flash.

so if it was in D:   you would need to type the following to flash the bios.   D:launch.bat   then press enter

windows will now ask you if you want to flash the bios just click yes then it will need to reboot auutomatically to continue to flash the bios ( you will need to remove the windows disk upon reboot)

Let it do its stuff then it will reboot once more. SORTED

Answers

• andymaxi1

All over the internet i can see thousands of people struggling with this problem so i hope it helps many people out!

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hey andymaxi1,

Are these solutions also helpful to the issue you're discussing?

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34099

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27713

Cory

• andymaxi1

hi cory -the videos do not help in this case as the bios wouldnt load up using the f2 key, also tried all the f keys escape key  delete key. everything.

if i could load the bios the normal way i would not have to go the roundabout way of reseting the bios.

my method is the only way of reseting the bios--well infact if i took the battery out of the laptop motherboard for a few minutesthat would work too i guess

Well the methods would work if the person could access the bios the normal way, but in my case the bios was not available the normal way

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

1: go to the acer driver web page and download the latest bios.  uk link http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers (for uk)

OK

2: save the zip file.

OK

3: make a new folder on your desktop called bios then extract the zip file (bios) to a the new folder

OK

4: insert a usb pendrive into your pc-make sure its empty then format it.

OK

5: copy the zip file to the new folder.

What new folder? I extracted the zip file to the new folder you said to make above.Are you calling the formatted pendrive a new folder?

Is this for a specific laptop model?

• andymaxi1
    Any folder.then copy to the pen drive. Or you can extract straight to the pen drive. It's up to you
  • andymaxi1
    I mean make a new folder call it what you want, then copy contents to the pen drive. Or extract straight to the the pen drive
  • krbmedia
    krbmedia Member Posts: 3 New User

I'm having teh same issue with my Aspire V5-571. Stuck because I can't boot into the bios or the boot manager (F12) as the opnly thing that pops up is OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND. So all this stuff about entering Windows for the BIOS is useless. Even if i made a bios update USB stick on another pc, I can't change teh boot irder to access it.

• PiotrekM
    PiotrekM Member Posts: 6 New User

Maybe your problem is similiar to mine. I've got Acer 791g. I've added m.2 ssd and have a problem with "No bootable device" apearing after power on. From that screen I cannot go to bios, but when I restart by ctrl+alt+del, I can go to bios with F2 with no problem. In fact after this restart everything works fine, load windows without a problem. But after power down this problem repeats.

• Cory-Acer

krbmedia wrote:

I'm having teh same issue with my Aspire V5-571. Stuck because I can't boot into the bios or the boot manager (F12) as the opnly thing that pops up is OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND. So all this stuff about entering Windows for the BIOS is useless. Even if i made a bios update USB stick on another pc, I can't change teh boot irder to access it.

Can you alt-ctrl-del? THis should force a reboot, at which point you can F2 into the BIOS. Also, you should be able to push the power button to power the system off, and then when you power it back on F2 should get you into the BIOS.

• Cory-Acer

PiotrekM wrote:

Maybe your problem is similiar to mine. I've got Acer 791g. I've added m.2 ssd and have a problem with "No bootable device" apearing after power on. From that screen I cannot go to bios, but when I restart by ctrl+alt+del, I can go to bios with F2 with no problem. In fact after this restart everything works fine, load windows without a problem. But after power down this problem repeats.

Are you making changes in your BIOS? If so, is it saving it?

• PiotrekM

Yes, I tried making changes in bios. Changes are saved, everything works ok, except this "No bootable device" message after power on.

• krbmedia

I can control alt delete and it restarts but still nothing when I hit f2 for the bios.

• PiotrekM

Acer-Cory wrote:

PiotrekM wrote:

Are you making changes in your BIOS? If so, is it saving it?

I thought that it is saving my changes, bui it wasn't so. Some changes were saved, but changes done to Boot Order were not saved. So your response gave my a clue to resolve my problemy, and now is resolved. I've switched off Secure Boot and than changed boot order. It helped. Now it works like it shuld.

Thank you.

• krbmedia

Here is how I fixed it for me. None of these worked as the drive was bad and I ouldnt access the bios to change the boot order. I took out a Windows 8 drive from another laptop, put it in this one (Pain in the neck to dissamble). Boot it, then updated the bios, changed the bios settings on the restrat and now all is well.