No browsers will stay connected

Options
kmpeters
kmpeters Member Posts: 2 New User

This laptop is only 1 month old, and has worked fine up until tonight. It's an AspireV5-561P-6869 with Windows 8.1.

All of a sudden, the browsers will not stay connected longer than a few minutes. 

- All of the other wireless and wired devices in the house can connect fine, including Windows 7 computers, another Windows 8.1 computer, Android devices, Apple devices, and the blu-ray player.

- I can still ping sites fine from the command prompt, though.

- It is both Chrome and IE simultaneously when it quits.

- If we reboot, then it connects back up to the Internet for a few minutes again... before stopping again.

- We rebooted the router and it changed nothing.

- We checked for wireless card driver updates and could not find any new.

- I have tried turning off TrendMicro and that changed nothing. 

- We did a deep scan with TrendMirco and found nothing.

- I shut off the wifi adapter, hooked the laptop directly to the router, and it changed nothing.

- I tried installing OpenDNS (I have it on the other computers) and that changed nothing. 

- We tried a restore point from a week ago when it was working fine, and it STILL doing this... which really makes no sense! If it was the wireless card hardware, wouldn't connecting via Ethernet bypass it? But if it was software, why would the restore point not fix it?

I am at a total loss on what to even look for.  Help!!!   

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    You may check the BIOS version and update it to V2.17

To check the current BIOS version, press and hold the Window logo key and tap X on your keyboard, click Run and type msinfo32 in the Run box and hit the Enter key. In the System Information window, click System Summary and locate your current BIOS Version/Date to the right.

Here's the weblink to download and install BIOS update  Download BIOS version V 2.17
    You need to keep the AC adapter plugged in during BIOS update.

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.pngto say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

• kmpeters
    kmpeters Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for the idea. I tried that, and it didn't fix anything. In fact, now it won't connect to the Internet even at startup.