No Disk Drive recognition since Win 10 upgrade- ASPIRE ZC-606

Gats
Gats Member Posts: 22 New User

I have the Aspire ZC-606 desktop. After I upgaded from 8.1 to windows 10, my drives NOR my ports are visible. Ive googled it and read in many forums that this is an ongoing problem for many computers.  Most of them say the drives are too old although they are the ones IN my desktop that is only 2 years old. They worked just fine before upgrade. I am still loking for a solution myself. My 31 days is up so I can no longer go back to 8.1. I really need my disc drives as this is a business computer... PLEASE HELP!!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer

Does Win10 seem to boot OK?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gats

yes, it just doenst recognize my disk drive

• JackE

if Win10 boots OK, Win10 does indeed recognize the disk drive.  Do you mean that ***you*** cannot see the disk drive in the Win10 file and disk manager, aka Explorer? If so, click on the directory name "computer" and it should appear. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gats

my apologies... I mean my cd/dvd disk drive

• JackE

OK, good. Then open Device Manager and look the CD/DVD drive directory. If it exists, Win10 recognizes it, but will likely be highlighted with a red x or yellow exclamation mark indicating that the drive or its driver software is not working properly.

Report back with what you see in Device Manager.

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• Gats

Theres not one listed in device manager

• JackE

OK. If there are no other issues detected by Device Manager, then reboot the machine. At the Acer logo screen, press F2 to enter the bios menu. The first menu screen should list the disk drives that are attached to and powered by the motherboard. Does the bios chip recognize a CD/DVD drive?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gats

F2 doesnt work, but the delete button does the same thing..its not the main screen but the advanced screen... It says AHCI Port 0 and the info for it..

Then it says AHCI Port 1... not present.

Is that what youre talking about?

• JackE

In any of the bios menu tabs,  do you see a reference to your CD/DVD drive?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gats

no... only on the boot priority order, but thats as an option to change. It doesnt look like its in the bios anywhere

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

a) open Device Manager. Does anything have a yellow triangle or red X ? If not do you have an entry for DVD/C-ROM drives ? What kind is listed ?

b ) Also go to the http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers and select your model. Go to All Drivers and Windows 8.1 . Download and install the 55MB Intel Chipset package.

c) if all else fails go here. I find that resolution 4 (reboot after) usually works.

• JackE

Already gone thru the Device Mgr thing. Since the bios doesn't see the drive, doesn't seem to be a driver issue. My first guess is that the power connector to the drive has either come loose. Or needs to be re-seated a half-dozen or so times to clean its contacts. My second guess is the drive's data cable --- same thing --- needs to be re-seated a half dozen or so times to clean the contacts.

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• Gats

none of that worked

• Gats

my disk drive isnt external... are you telling me to take the PC apart to clean it? Im not sure thats the problem since I was using it before I upgraded to win 10... then it was like it just disappeared, and just to be sure, just this morning I went back and reset my PC still with the Win10 because its past my 30 days but still nothing

• JackE

>>>since I was using it before I upgraded to win 10>>>

Yes, I realise it's internal. This still may be a coincidental issue, having little or nothing to do with the Win10 upgrade.  If you re-enter the bios menu, what bios version number do you see? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gats

bios version is P11-A2

• JackE

When did you purchase this machine?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gats

I bought it last year from a RAC store but it is a 2014 machine

• JackE

So it was a rental machine that RAC sold you? Meaning no Acer warranty? At this point, I suggest that you re-enter the bios menu and press F9 to reload the bios defaults. Then F10 to save these changes and exit. Report back again with results.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Gats

that is correct. A rental that I bought. No acer warranty. I made the changes in the BIOS and still nothing. when I put a disk in, it lights up. The hourglass shows for just a second. You can hear it try to load. Then nothing