Network adapter won't connect after rollback of drivers and reinstall of current driver

Options
PRMonk
PRMonk Member Posts: 10 New User

My network adapter won't connect to the system after rolling back drivers and reinstalling current driver.

Device Manager recognizes the adapter; Network and Sharing says it's not connected/available -- IPv4 and IPv6 are shown as not connected.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options

What Acer model and operating system? And why did you rollback?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PRMonk
    Options

It's an AOD255E, running Windows 7 Starter.  I was trying to upgrade the wifi card to dual band.  When that didn't work, I reinstalled my original wifi card (Intel Centrino 1000N), cleared all the wifi drivers out, and reinstalled the latest (current) driver that had been working before -- and during -- the attempted upgrade.  Which is when it failed.  As I said, Device Manager recognized the card, said it was installed correctly, but Network Manager said that there were no wifi adapters connected to the system.  It showed the adapter, but under status said IPv4 and IPv6 were not connected.

• JackE
    Options

What does device mgr now show under network adapters? When you left click on the wifi tray icon (if it exists) what does it show?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PRMonk
    Options

As I said, Device Manager shows the card installed and operating correctly.  The wifi tray icon is whited out and has a red x on it.  Left clicking on it gets a response of no wifi adapters on system.

Network manager shows the adapter, but basically says it's not connected.  That's the IPv4/IPv6 message.

• JackE
    Options

Open device mgr. Uninstall the wifi adapter driver. Exit device mgr. If it asks to reboot to change settings, click no. Then shut down windows normally. Cold re-boot and allow windows to detect the wifi card and automatically re-install the driver. If windows can't find the original driver on your hard drive, try reinstalling the latest driver you downloaded. Report back.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PRMonk
    Options

Already tried that -- three times.  System would install new driver -- Device Manager would show the adapter as installed and operating norally -- and then Network and Sharing would show the wifi adapter as not connected (red x).

Tried network problem solver.  Didn't work.  Tried to reset TCP/IP by using the wizard.  It didn't work.  Tried NetShell reset of TCP/IP and Winsock.  Didn't work.  Tried deleting Winsock and Winsock2 keyes from registry, and then manually reinstalling IP protocols.  Didn't work.

The problem does not appear to be in the drivers, but in the operating system recognizing the adapter as connected (hooked, bound) to the network/networking protocols -- as opposed to installed.

It looks to me as if during fresh installation of the OS, the OS recognizes and binds the network adapters to the system.  But after that process, I can't find a definitive, reliable method for once again binding adapters to the OS.

Thanks in advance...

• JackE
    Options

Almost seems like some driver remnants of the dual band card that failed to install, are still lurking around the registry.  When you said you "cleared all the wifi drivers out", did you do so with the regedit tool by searching for and deleting the dual band entries from the registry?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PRMonk
    Options

When I said I uninstalled all the drivers, I brought up the adapter(s) through Device Manager, then uninstalled the drivers for each adapter.  I kept uninstalling adapters until there were none left.

I did not try to edit the Registry.  Adapters seem to get identified by long alphanumeric strings -- which are not easily identified, and are close cousins to the alphanumeric strings of other adapters -- and then splashed all over the Registry in non-intuitively obvious keys.  As this is above my paygrade, I left it alone.  Didn't want to fry the registry on a let's-try-this-and-see-what-happens approach.

But, when I reinstalled a backup of the active partition -- with the drivers for the original wifi card still there, the drivers of the new card completely uninstalled -- the original card functioned normally/perfectly.

Which is why I think it's something to do with how the OS "binds the wifi adapter to the transport drivers."  Indeed, one diagnostic (Intel software) stated explicitly:  wifi adapter not bound to transport drivers.

• JackE
    Options

>>>But, when I reinstalled a backup of the active partition -- with the drivers for the original wifi card still there, the drivers of the new card completely uninstalled -- the original card functioned normally/perfectly.>>>

Did you do this from your own backup. Or the Alt+F10 erecovery procedure to factory default from the hidden recovery partition? Because the latter was my next suggestion to try with the option of saving your data.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PRMonk
    Options

I did it from my own backup -- using ShadowProtect.

I've had this computer for several  years -- a clean reinstall would be way too costly in terms of time needed to reconstruct everything (reinstall programs, tweaks, etc., etc., etc.).  It's really not a viable option.  Plus, from what I've gleaned from posts hither and yon -- a clean reinstall doesn't always work.

As I said, I assume there must be a fix for this somewhere...  And if there isn't, someone (Microsoft, Acer, Intel, someone) should write it.  It's a software bug -- of long standing -- and a pain to a whole lot of people.

Oh well...

Thanks for your efforts.

• JackE
    Options

>>>Plus, from what I've gleaned from posts hither and yon -- a clean reinstall doesn't always work.>>>

The Alt+F10 erecovery process while saving your data should return your system to an as-delivered state with a functioning original wifi adapter. If erecovery fails to do so, it suggests a hardware failure most likely at the mainboard level given that both the dual band and original adapters didn't or no longer seem to function correctly. In your case, I'd guess an issue with the adapter/mainboard connections.

I understand your reluctance toward erecovery even with saving your data. Perhaps a better option for you right now  is to consider a usb wifi microadapter for less than $20. I realize it's a band-aid approach but should get you quickly back up and running --- and give you some breathing room to decide on a better solution.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• PRMonk
    Options

Unfortunately, it's not a hardware problem.  With my active partition reinstalled from backup, my original wifi card works just dandy.

It's software.  It's something in the Windows OS.

An USB wifi dongle would indeed work as a bandaid...  It's just that it doesn't actually solve the problem.  It's a workaround.  I have to believe that someone, somewhere, knows what this problem is... and how to actually fix it. 

And if they don't, they should.

I was taught a very long time ago: you don't let buggy software out the door.  And when you do find a bug, you fix it.  Whatever it takes, no excuses.

• JackE
    Options

>>>With my active partition reinstalled from backup, my original wifi card works just dandy.>>>

So right now your problem is NOT with the original card anymore? Your problem now is still trying to replace it with the other adapter? Or am I missing something?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PRMonk
    Options

As I said, I can reinstall my backed up active partition; when I do, my old wifi card works.

My problem is I don't understand what's going on, and why.  It would be nice to upgrade my wifi card.  It would be nice to know what is actually happening, so I (and others) don't vaporize their existing wifi link.

(I learned long ago always to back up your system -- religiously.  I'm the only person I know who does.  And if you don't have a back up with this problem, it appears you're pretty much screwed.)

If the "solution" to the problem is reinstall a backup, or clean reinstall the OS -- the problem isn't solved.  These are kluge workarounds; but that's not a solution.

• JackE
    Options

>>>My problem is I don't understand what's going on, and why.  It would be nice to upgrade my wifi card.>>>

OK, neither do I on both counts. The issue started with trying to UNsuccessfully replace the original hardware and software with the dual band hardware and software. Then being unable to rollback to the original hardware and software without resorting to a backup.

Accordingly, my best guess is that the dual band software was in fact NOT UNINSTALLED completely leaving its software remnants in the registry to confuse the operating system. It is not unusual for uninstall software to be a bit sloppy and leave its related install software registry entries and files untouched especially if the operating system thinks its still using them during the uninstall process.

To test my best guess, you could try to reinstall the dual band hardware and software and see if you get the same result. Or maybe it'll successfully install the second time around! 8^)

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• PRMonk
    Options

Actually, I was able to rollback to my original wifi card no problem.  I didn't even have to delete the drivers for the new card.  Old card worked just fine.

So, I reinserted new card.  It didn't work.  Uninstalled all new card drivers.  Reinstalled latest new card driver.  New card didn't work.  Uninstalled new card driver again.

Next reinserted old card -- worked fine.  Deleted old card drivers. inserted new card and reinstalled new card's latest driver.  Didn't work.  Uninstalled new card driver.  Inserted old card, reinstalled old card latest driver -- old card didn't work -- in exactly the same way the new card didn't work.

I then reinstalled both cards at least two more times -- trying all the fixes...

The only thing that worked was to reinsert old card, reinstall back up of active partition -- then the old card worked as usual.  Tried installing the new card AGAIN at this point -- same problem.  Reinserted old card -- it worked fine.

Finally, with the old card reinserted, I reinstalled my back up of active partition -- to clear out all the changes/go back to a known working state -- and the old card continued to work perfectly.  Then I posted here.

As I said in an early post -- I really have tried everything.  I was hoping someone -- an Acer employee?? -- actually was familiar with this issue, and KNEW the correct solution.  Because I've pretty much given up on "Let me try this.  Or this.  Or this.  Or this."  It seems to be software.  It seems to be the OS.  And on one seems to know the answer.

• JackE
    Options

That's the way it often goes in the digital world. No software is 100% guaranteed to be free of bugs.  How about giving the adapter manufacturers a go at this?  Barring a hardware issue, about all that Acer can do with a software hiccup/glitch such as this is to bring your original system hardware back to its factory-fresh state while saving your data. And, short of learning how to code these adapters to behave nice with Windows and one another, about all you can do are frequent backups.

Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ

• PRMonk
    Options

It is the way it goes in the digital world...

Actually, almost all software is 100% guaranteed to BE buggy.

Part of the reason I don't code anymore.

Anyway ... I've already gone around and around with Intel (manufacturer of both cards).  They suggested I check with the computer manufacturer...

It's looking like no one knows -- or, in my opinion, really cares -- about this issue.  I guess that's why I personally have encountered it for 15 years plus.

Another part of the reason I got out of computers a long time ago.  And a part of why a lot of people buy Apple.

Anyway...  thank you for all your efforts.  I appreciate it.

All the best...