Need improved performance

Options
jhosfield
jhosfield Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Acer Aspire One D255E. System performance has diminished and need improved performance. It is running Windows 10. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

I have one of them same machines. Sadly it is a Win 7 Laptop and with the Limited Ram of only 2G max it isn't gonig to do the best under Win10... I do use Win10 on it. However it isn't really made for 10. The VGA drivers are not Compatible with 10 Via Intels Website..... So I don't know if you have the 1g of ram that it came with or if you took it apart and put in the 2g max that it can run... Win 10 can run with 1g but when you first turn it on. Give it about 20 min to download your updates becasue you will not be able to move much until it is down DL all. I always tell my son when he goes to use it. Turn it on and go make some coffee or tea.... Once done it should be ready Smiley Happy 

Other then that 2g of ram Other thing you could maybe do is change out the Drive for a SSD....

also have a 255 and a 257 as well. all Running Win 10

James

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

Thought I would add, After I seen your Post I thought i would put the 1gb of ram back in the machine from 2 gb to see what would happen on boot up. It hasn't been turned on for a little over a month now so I wanted to see what happened...

It is stuck on the Starting screen where it shows the Time and date. You have to click that and then put in your password if you have one set... Well Clicking that it won' teven take me to the password area. Because it is DL updates.. I can see the HDD activity so I know it is work and that is what it is doing... 

So yes if you have loads of UPDATES and not running everyday with 1gb ram Windows 10 don't work well.. I can't nor would I say that is an Acer issue however is a MS issue because they are not letting the systems DL Updates at a time but as soon as you turn on your systems....

When they were running Win7 they did ok with only 1gb of ram however That was one of the first Upgrades I did to the machines... Besides I had to replace 2 Keyboards so far and now a 3rd one is needing a new one as the Right arrow is missing now... But they had seen some GOOD amount of use as well. I am very happy with how well they have been working.....

James

• eric54
    eric54 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Just installed a 250G SSD on my D255E with 2G of ram and running windows 10. Makes a big difference.

The drawback those SSD are not very cheap yet so is it worth forking 100 bucks in your aged notebook. I'm a geek so it was fun doing this upgrade...

• eric54
    eric54 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

just to make this clear; windows 10 works well in my D255E with 2Gb of RAM and a 250 Go SSD. However don't expect meeting the speed od an I3 or I5 system; it's an Atom processor after all...