My trackpad remains active after I disable it in the control panel.

Options
alyssagdfr
alyssagdfr Member Posts: 2 New User

I had to retype this message 3 times because my hands keep hitting the trackpad while I'm typing. I'd very much like to disable the trackpad, at least when I'm using my USB mouse, but when I select disable when external USB mouse is plugged in or even when I try to disable it altogether, it remains active. Has anyone else had this problem and have any solutions?

Answers

• copenman
    copenman Member Posts: 19 New User
    Options

Hi, may I ask what is your model number and operating system?

Have you tried the following:

• press and hold the Fn key down and press the F6 or F7 key (has a image similiar to a finger touching a key)

Do you have a precision touchpad?  If you're unsure you can do the following to determine:

• Press the Windows (Image: icon_Windows8_key.png) key + C, or swipe in from the right edge of the screen to open your Charms, select Settings, then click or tap Change PC settings.
    • Tap or click PC and devices, then tap or click Mouse and touchpad.
    • Systems with precision touchpads will show Your PC has a precision touchpad under the Touchpad section.

If you dohave a precision touchpad the procedure located here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/touchpad may be of help.

• alyssagdfr
    alyssagdfr Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you so much for your reply. I've been super busy so I haven't gotten a chance to try your suggestion yet. I'll make sure to update on the model number, etc. when I get home, too. I'm using a library computer now because typing is just so much easier. I did try holding down Fn and the funtion key with the picture of the track pad on it. I also went to the control panel and disabled it there. It seems like my track pad is just not responding to all of the things that are supposed to disable it.