My mouse will not click no matter what I do

Options
GrandKaiser
GrandKaiser Member Posts: 4 New User

I am using an Acer Aspire M5 laptop, it is wonderful and I have had it since August of 2014. But for some reason, after spilling a tiny (I promise) drop of water onto the touchpad and wiping it dry things just went haywire. First, my mouse could not control itself. It started moving all over the place and I had to shut down and restart my computer to fix it. Luckily when I restarted everything was fine. But there was still a problem. Using the touchpad to click things worked fine but whenever I clicked something the computer would make it hold on for several seconds. For example, when I was typing something I clicked the end of the text then hovered over the words, and the text became highlighted as if I was dragging the mouse over it. This lasted for a few hours but now nothing is working. At all. I cannot click anything. Touchpad clicking will not work either. I am able to move the mouse around perfectly fine but I can't scroll using the touchpad. Nothing has worked. I have restarted several times and still nothing. I am getting aggravated. I need this computer for work and I cannot keep using the touchscreen to click things. I read online that I should remove the battery and put it back in but I cannot access the battery on this model. I don't know where to find it or take it out. I don't want to try, it seems really complicated. I don't understand how an extremely tiny drop of water could have caused this much damage. It's incomprehensible. I really hope someone can help me with this and I really hope I don't have to get my computer repaired because I just don't have the money for it. 

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Considering that this touchpad problem happened after you spilled water on the touchpad,I suspect that something shorted.It mqay have been a small drop of water, but it doesn't take much.All it has to do is cross two solder joints and in laptops they are very close together.

Have you checked Device Manager to see if there are any driver problems? The trackpad driver is usually in Mice and Other Pointing devices. On the bottom of the laptop you will find a tiny hole.Shut down, remove the power cord, and use a paper clip to gently press into the hole until you feel it click. That resets the battery.

• GrandKaiser
    Options

So...what do I do? It has to be repaired?

Apologies, I did not see your edit. I will try all of those things you mentioned. When I got into the Device Manager the only thing that shows up under mice and other pointing devices is something called ELAN PS/2 port smart pad.

• philetus
    Options

That is your touchpad.

• GrandKaiser
    Options

I clicked on it, and it says everything is working properly. Weird.

• philetus
    Options

If you are handy, it doesn't look that hard to replace the trackpad.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-acer-aspire-m5/

If you don't use it on the go and only ay a desk, another option is to get a USB mouse or trackball. My wife and I both use a 

http://www.kensington.com/us/us/4493/K72337US/orbit%E2%84%A2-trackball-with-scroll-ring#.VMktKWjF8us

and it is way better that a trackpad or a mouse.

• GrandKaiser
    Options

While that sounds great for home use, I am actually on the go a lot instead of at a desk. It sounds like a great temporary solution but I've become so used to using the trackpad. I think I may have to take it in for repairs at this point because I wouldn't know how to replace the trackpad. I really appreciate your help though it means a lot.

• philetus
    Options

You're welcome.