My acer aspire one d255e black screen on restarting only

Options
Serr76
Serr76 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hello,

Since upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 starter as part of the upgrade program a couple of years ago. If I choose to restart or Windows 10 restarts after/to complete installing updates it gets stuck at a black screen. (seems to be before acer bios boot image) need to hold down the power button turn back on and all is well. If I use shut down the unit shuts off then powers back up after pressing power as expected. Any suggestions. This is after the upgrade as well as trying a clean windows 10 install. No available bios updates as it seems related to the bios recognizing the restart command from Windows 10.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,627 Trailblazer
    Options

Did this start when you first installed Win10 a few years ago or after a recent Win10 update? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Serr76
    Options
    It started after the free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7. After about 6 months it annoyed me enough that I formatted and reinstalled windows 10 as a non upgrade as a fresh install but that didn't help.
  • JackE
    Options

Did you perhaps add more DDR memory around this time? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Serr76
    Options
    The amount of RAM didn't change between going from Windows 7-10 where windows 7 restarted without issue. Additionally on another reinstall of Windows 10 the original hard drive in the netbook failed I replaced it with a ssd. The reboot issue remained so it wasn't the original drive. It is possible the RAM is failing and not allowing a reboot to occur and it just coincided with the windows 10 upgrade.
  • JackE
    Options

Please try to swap the original factory-installed memory module back into the machine to see what happens. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ