My TimelineX 4820T thinks it has more memory than it has

pdgibbs
pdgibbs Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi, I have a TimelineX 4820T with 3Gb RAM and I replaced the RAM with two 4Gb Kingston sticks of the same speed. BOIS happily reported 8192Gb and I booted to Windows, which promptly crashed.

I then tried memtest86 from a USB stick. It corectly reported the two 4Gb sticks but this crashed too, so I started looking at chunks of memory.  Then I realised, the upper testing boundary was about 9Gb!  When I set the range from 0-8192Gb the tests passed perfectly.

When I tried with one stick, the same happened but it thought it had about 5Gb.

Why would the machine believe it has more memory than installed?  Is this a fault in the memory or the laptop?  I have the latest BIOS 1.25 but I don't see any useful options there and unfortunately cannot find another laptop to test with.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,049 Trailblazer

Hello,

1. Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

2. The memory modules part number?
    3. What OS do you use exactly? Windows 7 64-bit?
    France
  • pdgibbs

Hi, thanks for your reply. To answer your questions,

1. LXPSN02164...

2. KVR13S9S8K2/8

3. I have upgraded the pre-installed Windows 7 Home 64-bit to Windows 10 64-bit

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,049 Trailblazer

Hello,

Have you done a clean install after the Windows 10 upgrade?

I suggest you these memory modules instead of Kingston.

France
  • pdgibbs

Hi, thanks for the response.  It is an upgrade rather than a clean install but with memtest86 also failing I don't think it is Windows but I may give that a go.  I think the Cricial memory option is probably my best bet as I noted from the link you provided that Crucial does list it as guaranteed compatible.