My Acer Aspire 5336-2281 will not let me download or make any updates on my computer, why?

Options
ABey
ABey Member Posts: 9 New User

Can someone show me how to fix my Acer Aspire 5336-2281 Laptop? It will not allow me to download any programs nor will it let me make any updates.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Options

What error message do you get when trying to download or update?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ABey
    Options

Hi Ace Jack E

the message i get is "Windows could not search for new updates, an error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer, Error(s) found: code 80244004 windows update encountered an unknown error and I after troubleshoot I get this message: Problems found: Windows error 0x80070057(2015-10-20-T-11_01_30A)" 

• ABey
    Options

I also get this message when tyring to download or update: "The Windows Installer service could not be accessed. this can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. concat your support personnel for assistance."

• JackE
    Options

OK. Open the command prompt as an administrator. Then enter the following command line

sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe

If the microsoft installer file (msiexec.exe) is corrupted, this should command line should detect and fix it. Report back with results.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• ABey
    Options

I am a novice how do I: "Open the command prompt as an administrator. Then enter the following command line"

• JackE
    Options

Right click a blank spot on your desktop.

Scroll down the popup to NEW. Click on SHORTCUT.

Then enter "cmd" but without the quotes.

Then click next. Then finish.

You should then have a new icon on your desktop entitiled "cmd.exe" but without the quotes.

Right click on the cmd.exe icon.

Click on "run as administrator'" and then click "yes".

At the blinking cursor enter the following command line "sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe" but without the quotes.

Please note the proper direction of the forward and backward slashes, / & \, in the above command line.

Report back with results of what the above command line finds.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ABey
    Options

Results were:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

The system file repair changes will take effect after the next reboot." 

• JackE
    Options

OK. Now re-boot. Then open "control panel" when you're connected to the internet. Search for "update" . Then click on check for windows update. And then test to see if your system will check for windows updates and install them if any important updates are available. Report back again.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ABey
    Options

That did nto work, i keep getting the exact same error message as before, whenver I try to check for Window updates:

"Windows could not search for new updates, an error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer, Error(s) found: code 80244004 windows update encountered an unknown error"

is there a way to uninstall Windows and reinstall it?

• JackE
    Options

Yes. You can use Acer Recovery Mgt program by pressing the ALT + F10 keys on startup. Refer to this video for the procedure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ

You will have the option of saving your data or restoring your system to factory-fresh condition.

Please let us know how this works.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options

The other option is to recover your system to an earlier date before which the update problems started. But you'd have to know about what date you started having these problems. The advantage of this is over recovery mgt that you wouldn't have to download and install as many Windows updates. Your decision.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ABey
    Options

I will try this method

• ABey
    Options

I tried this several times and it did not work, maybe I did not go back far enough.

• JackE
    Options

You can also try the system file check (sfc) procedure on a much wider birth of windows system directories to see if it finds other corrupted files associated with the update, etc issues. Let me know if you want to try this first and I'll give you the command lines to try.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ABey
    Options

Hello Jack E,

I restored my computer back to the original factory setting and that worked!

I am now able to download programs such as iTunes and I was able to update all of the Windows program, there were about 16 different needed updates.

Now I am trying to re-download my HP wireless printer I am having problems with that right now.

Thanks for your help!