My Acer AO722 is slow. Internet explorer slow and MS Excel often not responding (windows 10)

crossenp
crossenp Member Posts: 26 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

My Acer A)722 iws running extremely slow and sometimes not responding.  I by mistake let it upgrade to Windows 10.  Sice my wife hates it, it is slow, and frustrating.  Is it an option to wipe it and reset and try to install windows 7 like it was before.  I know it i porobably a pain to do a reset.  It is an older model and maybe it would run better.  Help please

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

If your hidden recovery partition is still intact, you can upgrade back to Win7. Follow these instructions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jimv
    jimv Member Posts: 4 New User
    JackE said:

If your hidden recovery partition is still intact, you can upgrade back to Win7. Follow these instructions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ

jackE, 

The link you posted to the YouTube video does not work on my XP system.  I will try it with Windows 7 later.
    My problem is that my AO722 laptop with Windows 7 Home Edition is extremely slow.  It is 8 years old. 
    It has gotten slower progressively since I got it.  Is there a practical way to speed it up?
    I even restored it to factory original settings and now it got even slower.  

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    @jimv Yeah, most of the Win7 and even a few Win8x links have been taken down since the first of the year. Doesn't matter though. From a power off state, turn the AO722 back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. If the hidden ACER Win7 factory recovery partition hasn't been corrupted or deleted, a recovery screen should appear with options to either reset the machine to factory-fresh Win7 state or to reset while saving your personal files (actually called a refresh these days). Very similar to the Win8.1 ALT + F10 video shown below. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFuWwuc2oH4

Jack E/NJ

• jimv
    I opted to go with straight "factory Fresh Win 7".  
    After I did, there were over 100 updates for it to install, so I will get back to you after that is done.
  • JackE
    @jimv Congrats. You're on the way. Warning. One of the updates marked important --- related the AO722 AMD mainboard chipset --- should be avoided if you catch it. Uncheck the install for that AMD update. Also, uninstall any non-Microsoft virus scanners that get re-loaded. All you need these days is Windows Defender. If you suspect any infections you should use the standalone freeware McAfee Stinger --- it's updated regularly and won't bog your system down since you use it only when needed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    @jimv Congrats. You're on the way. Warning. One of the updates marked important --- related the AO722 AMD mainboard chipset --- should be avoided if you catch it. Uncheck the install for that AMD update. Also, uninstall any non-Microsoft virus scanners that get re-loaded. All you need these days is Windows Defender. If you suspect any infections you should use the standalone freeware McAfee Stinger --- it's updated regularly and won't bog your system down since you use it only when needed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

Jack E/NJ

• jimv
    @jackE,

I did not catch them before the update program loaded them.  Can they be uninstalled after the fact through my control panel?

Also, I tried to play that YouTube video on Win 7, and it didn't load there either.
  • JackE
    >>>I did not catch them before the update program loaded them.  Can they be uninstalled after the fact through my control panel?>>>Also, I tried to play that YouTube video on Win 7, and it didn't load there either.>>>

We can probably do a rollback if you have issues which many have reported for this model, which BTW I also have and in fact using right now. The link I posted earlier was a Win8.1 video, not Win7 because the Win7 link has been removed. But the ALT+F10 method is almost the same. Do other youtube videos load and play OK? If not, your browser probably needs a media player add-on or you're missing a media player. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ