My Acer AO722 is extremely slow. Internet explorer slow and MS Excel often not responding

Options
crossenp
crossenp Member Posts: 26 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

My Acer AO722 is extremely slow.  Internet explorer slow and MS Excel often not responding.  I have edited the start p folder and deleted unwanted programs.  Have 2Gig memory.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

I would start by downloading Malwarebytes,install, run and see what it catches.Check Programs and Features for installed programs that you know you didn't install like toolbars and tuneup junk.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/malwarebytes_anti_malware,3.html

• crossenp
    Options
    I have it at the house. Currently runs Microsoft Security Essentials. Do I need something different?
  • philetus
    Options

Try it. If Malwarebytes doesn't catch something MS missed, I'll be surprised and it's free.

• crossenp
    Options
    OK. I ran it last night. it found a large number of things that began with PUP.___. They were removed. I exported the stuff to a file. It took quite a while to scan MS and then Malware bytes. So I have not done much. I restarted and it still takes a while for IE to run. Should I be using Chrome? The key will NE running Excel. BTW i had all kinda of no responding while trying to close out IE and restart. Help
  • philetus
    Options

What do you mean you exported the stuff to a file? Why didn't you let Malwarebytes quarantine them? If they're an a regular fil, they are probably still active in your system and they're all hogging your internet, calling home.Run Malwarebytes again and see if they show up again.You might want to go here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

• crossenp
    Options

I am sorry.  I sent the previous  post from my phone. 

I let Malwarebytes  Quarantine them.  As I said, they were removed or so it told me.  I exported "the list" of what the items were that all began with PUP....  It let me make a file of the list in .txt.  So if Malware removed them, that is good?  My questions still are:

I was left with "...not responding..." when I tried to close IE down to do a restart (which it told me to do also).w  Will that continue?  Will I continue to have issues with Excel which I need to use?  Should I use Google Chrome (which is installed) not IE?  Or what should be used?  What should be the next steps? Sorry for any confusion.  Still need help.

• philetus
    Options

You probably have more malware.Go here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35 sign up and post your problem. You will get good malware help there.

• crossenp
    Options

i tried the geek site suggested.  after 30 minutes i gave up  Can find no where to post for help.  I need help please.  I have gotten only one question with an attempted answer.  "try Malwearbytes"  thats it.

I am getting now suggestions for an answer to my questions.  I have invested several hours and am beginning to think this may be a lost cause and a wasted investment in hardware.  I cannnot get any potential answers. surely there is someone that can read my post and give a =n answer to the spwcific questions

• philetus
    Options

If you had signed up for an account, you would have seen the newthread.gif icon at the top of the Malware Removal forum. You have problems from Maleware. The next thing you can do is save your personal files to a USB HDD or large USB drive and do a Recovery.

• crossenp
    Options
    So.
    1. There is a recovery process to go to in Start/programs/... After I save my files?
    2. Should I not use MS security essentials in the future or use it in conjunction with Malwarebytes? Or use something else.
    3. Once I get back running I don't want stuff running to create slow or non responding. Recommend using ?
    4. I have Ofice 2013 that I can install. Will that be OK after all else is recovered and running?
  • philetus
    Options

In Windows search type Recovery or

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12869#_ga=1.159408574.2004856762.1413655847

MS Security Essentials isn't that good. Even MS recommends not using it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

I use Avira Anti-virus Pro in my laptops, but Avira Free is good. Some Malware does get past most antiAnti-virus, non of them are perfect so, I run Malwarebytes too.The free Malwarebytes does not run in the background, but you can scedule it to run every day. These won't slow you down. When you download and install Anything, read each box carefully to make sure it's not set to install something else with it. This practice seems to be getting more prevalent with even reputable companies doing it.

Office 2013 is fine.

• crossenp
    Options
    Ok, thank you.
    So.
    1. There is a recovery process to go to in Start/programs/... After I save my files?
    2. Should I not use MS security essentials in the future or use it in conjunction with Malwarebytes? Or use something else.
    3. Once I get back running I don't want stuff running to create slow or non responding. Recommend using ?
    4. I have Ofice 2013 that I can install. Will that be OK after all else is recovered and running?
  • crossenp
    Options

Thank you so much.  I have Office 2010 on it now but everything is slow, I guess because of Malwear that is on it.

I really only use Excel and Word, and was worried it would be slow.  

I have most personal files stored on a flash drive that I work with (excel, Word mostly).

Will that be Ok or make it unresponsive?  Do I need t scan that thing also?

• philetus
    Options

Yes. Disable autostart on the laptop,  and then go to  Computer. Plug in the USB and right click on it when it appears and select scan this with

• crossenp
    Options

Thanks.  With regard to Office 2013, I really only use Excel and Word, and was worried it would be slow.  

I have most personal files stored on a flash drive that I work with (excel, Word mostly).  Will that be Ok, in other words it will not be a hog or make it unresponsive? 

I will have to make sure I scan the usb drive before I use it further.

• philetus
    Options

When you install Office, you can choose custom install and only install the programs you want.

• crossenp
    Options
    Thank you. So if I install all but only use some it won't be a problem?
  • philetus
    Options

No problem

• crossenp
    Options
    My acre will not let me download this. After recovery is run. Mcafee is installed and says this is a problem
  • philetus
    Options

Your Acer won't let you download what?