Model 5250-0639. wild tangent

Options
Honey58
Honey58 Member Posts: 10 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I would like to uninstall wild tangent and anything else that is not necessary that came automatically installed on my laptop. What can I get rid of and how do I do it?  It seems often I run at 100CPUs.  I have only install myself: Miscrosoft office, Google, Norton Antivirus, and Malwarebtyes.  Recently even reset total computer back to factory settings to make sure this was not a virus issue.

I understand that just uninstalling Wild Tangent will not total remove it.  I don't know if that is true.  I have not tried from fear this is so.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,561 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

>>>Main source is System Idle>>>

That's OK! The "System Idle Process" means the CPU is idling (that is, NOT being used) for whatever percentage of time is shown. So, for example, if the System Idle Process is showing 96% CPU usage, that means only 4% of the CPU capacity is  actually being used by other processes. It jumps around like you see because other processes are actually using the CPU from time to time. You should only start to worry if the System Idle Process is consistently showing 0% or near zero % CPU idling. It sounds like your system is operating just fine! The System Idle Process is pretty much the only process where it's actually good to see near 100% CPU usage because it means the CPU is just idling. Jack E/NJ      

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options

>>>It seems often I run at 100CPUs.>>>

How are you monitoring CPU usage? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Honey58
    Options

Yes, I have been monitoring.  I am about to reset again to factory settings again and maybe not reload malwarebytes and microsoft office.  I am hoping it might lower CPU usage.  Am I wrong?  I have 64 Processes.  54% memory.  I am not sure why I have 100% CPU most of the time.  I also run laptop on a cooling tray and have had the fan cleaned.  I know basically nothing about computers so any help would be appreciated.  I know 100%CPU's is not a good thing.

• JackE
    Options

What program or application are you using to see CPU usage? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Honey58
    Options

Task manager

• JackE
    Options

OK, good! Now click on processes in task mgr. Then click on show all user processes. Which process(es) seem to be consuming the most CPU time? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Honey58
    Options

I reset factory settings again yesterday to get CPU down.  I can tell you that Google took a ton.  It seemed like there was 10 listings just for that.  I stayed with starter microsoft office 2010 instead of loading my Microsoft office 2007 full version to see if that would help.  As of this morning I have not reinstall google yet.  I have installed Norton and uninstalled McAfee.  I am at 5-13CPU's and processes 64 Physical memory 23% with only task manager running.

What is running with only task manager open is:

csrss.exe

dwm.exe

taskmgr.exe

I would like to put Google back on.  I am almost afraid to put Malwarebytes and CCCleaner back on.  It seemed like all of these really shot the CPUs up like crazy.

• JackE
    Options

>>>I can tell you that Google took a ton.  It seemed like there was 10 listings just for that.>>>As of this morning I have not reinstall google yet.>>>

What Google program or app are you trying to install? Chrome? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Honey58
    Options

Chrome is the one that I had installed before.  I haven't installed it since I factory reset last night.  I was waiting for advice first.

• JackE
    Options

Many browsers like Chrome often inadvertently leave multiple copies of itself running in memory and continue to increasinghly consume CPU time even after closing it down. This is quite common. Browsers can sometimes consume so much CPU time that machines almost come to a standstill. But there's usually no need to factory-reset. Simply right click on the offending process or processes in task manager. Then end the process or, better yet, end the offending process tree. It's usually the process which seems to be consuming the most memory if multiple copies of itself are found.

Task manager can usually clear CPU problems up like this. If not, simply cold re-booting will solve the problem. This is why I always run task manager on startup and throughout my computer session so that I can easily end errant browser copies when I notice they are starting to slow my machine down.

Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ

• Honey58
    Options

I suppose I am not smart enough to know when something is an offending process.  Am I understanding you that if I simply log off and log back on, it is possible for the CPU's to use less?

• JackE
    Options

>>>Am I understanding you that if I simply log off and log back on, it is possible for the CPU's to use less?>>>

No. You must do a cold re-boot to absolutely clear the memory. This means to exit Windows normally, not log off. Then forcibly shut the power off (press & hold power button) if Windows doesn't automatically do it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Honey58
    Options

Okay, I can understand how to do that.  I will be happy to try that over the next few days and let you know how it goes.  I can't begin to thank you for all of your time and your help!  Thank you so very much.

• JackE
    Options

OK, good luck. If that doesn't work, we have some other things to try that are less drastic than re-setting the system. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Honey58
    Options

Thank you.

• Honey58
    Options

Jack, CPU's high tonight after installing Chrome.  Main source is System Idle.  Is there a way to lower the CPU's there?  It is showing all over the place.  43, 56, 71, 85, 96. 

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

>>>Main source is System Idle>>>

That's OK! The "System Idle Process" means the CPU is idling (that is, NOT being used) for whatever percentage of time is shown. So, for example, if the System Idle Process is showing 96% CPU usage, that means only 4% of the CPU capacity is  actually being used by other processes. It jumps around like you see because other processes are actually using the CPU from time to time. You should only start to worry if the System Idle Process is consistently showing 0% or near zero % CPU idling. It sounds like your system is operating just fine! The System Idle Process is pretty much the only process where it's actually good to see near 100% CPU usage because it means the CPU is just idling. Jack E/NJ      

Jack E/NJ

• Honey58
    Options

Wow!  Jack that is fantatic news!  You are my hero!  Thank you for working so very hard with me during all of this.  I am not going to have to worry anymore.  Yeah, yeah, yeah!  Gosh thank you.  Thank you.