MBR repair on Acer 5750 laptop running Windows 7 - is it possible?

Options
kocherpm9044
kocherpm9044 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi all, 

I'm an Acer board newbie, but have years of PC experience :-)   Not that it's helped me on this issue...

I managed to overwrite the Acer provided MBR record on partition 1 yesterday during use of a Porteus (portable Linux) USB disk MBR writing tool.  Oops.  System still boots to Windows 7 luckily but I cannot use Alt F10 keystroke to launch the eRecovery software.  I tried using a boot loader to force a boot from the recovery partition, and it attempts to boot Porteus instead of the Acer eRecovery tool. The current partition layout was not changed and is:

1 PQSERVICE recovery partition (intact with corrupt MBR)

2 Windows 7 system reserved

3 Windows 7

I read articles online about using an EXE file to rewrite the recovery partition boot sector, using MBRWDOS.EXE. I can view the PQSERVICE partition contents if I boot in Windows 7 recovery mode (F8) but I have not found anything useful on the recovery parition like MBRWDOS.EXE or anything else for that matter. 

I do have the recovery DVD's I wrote but I'm wondering if I could get my system back to bootable from the recovery partition using Alt F10 via some black magic?

Cheers,

Paul

Answers

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello Paul,

Your laptop worked under Windows Vista (PQ SERVICE) before it?

France
  • kocherpm9044
    Options

Hi,

No, my laptop was shipped with Windows 7 Home Premium.  Never had Windows Vista on it.

Paul

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello Paul,

Have you checked in the bios setup utility if D2D is enabled?

France
  • kocherpm9044
    Options

Yes, D2D is enabled in BIOS.

I'm quite sure it's related to the MBR/boot sector.  If I use a bootloader (such as PLOP) from a Porteus Linux boot, the Acer eRecovery loads.  But otherwise it won't fly.  I definitely corrupted it.

Is there no software/tool to repair it?