LCD grey screen flickering

Midas
Midas Member Posts: 10 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello everyone!

I have a problem that I suspect some of you might have experienced. I have an Acer Aspire V5-573G for a little more than a year now. Yesterday my LCD started flickering with grey and white colours. It normally gets back to normal as soon as I gently tap the screen. Half an hour ago the screen gone totally crazy as you can see in the image below. The taps didn't help anymore and I had to shut down and restart in order to get it back to normal again. 

So, how is this problem caused? I have seen many people writing about it on other ACER models. The opinions on what is wrong differ (backlight, cable, graphics, bios). Do you know what is really causing this and how it can be fixed?

I would really appreciate some info, because this laptop is vital for my work. Smiley Indifferent

Thanks in advance!

photo (2).JPG

Best Answer

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,049 Trailblazer

Hello,

First test:

Do you have the same issue with an external monitor or LCD TV in using the VGA or HDMI port?

[Fn]+[F5] - Display toggle: Switches display output between the display screen, external monitor (if connected) and both.

France
  • Midas

I need to make this happen again. Normally, if the screen moves just a little it gets back to normal. So, this permanent one needs to happen again so I can connect it to a monitor.

I will get back to you, as soon as I have the same symptom. 

• Midas

Greetings!

So it happened again. 

I connected it to a monitor through HDMI and the image was crystal clear. I unplugged the monitor, turned the computer off and then booted again. Same greyish screen appeared. I turned it off again and left it for 5 minutes without touching anything... Everything was back to normal again. 

So, apparently it is not the GFX card. I suspect the cable connecting the LCD, but then why did it turn back to normal when I left it for few minutes?

What should I do? If it is the cable, what kind of cable do I need to purchase and how can I replace it?

Kind Regards

Philip

• laurent_14

Hello Philip,

1- Your laptop is it still under warranty?

2- First I would check if the connectors are correctly plugged in and if the cable is in good condition.

3- The spare part is: 50.M9YN7.004 - CABLE.LCD

4- I think that's probably the LCD converter (one of the components must be defective---> random issue) but it is "fixed" on the LCD panel. In this case, it means a new LCD panel.

Note:

Remove or disconnect the battery before intervening.

France
  • Midas

Thank you for the information Laurent!

My laptop had only one year guarantee which makes it a bit older than a year since the time of purchase. Before touching the internals of it, I need to ask if you have any best practices for accessing the LCD screen? I know there are various videos about changing LCD on acer computers, but this model is a bit different. After dealing with it several times now, I feel it is the cable that is defective. The screen gets that bad when nothing is done in time when it starts to flicker. If I hold the lower part of the screen so that it gets stabilized, the colours are comming back and the LCD restores itself.

• laurent_14
    Answer ✓

Hello Philip,

Watch this video. The connector is located behing the inverter. It's probably your issue.

France
  • Midas

Thank you Laurent!

I am on it!

• Midas

I am sorry to bother you again but, I am afraid the cable was not defective.

It took a long time to get it, so I just replaced it today. I booted and the screen was flickering again. Since I was acquainted with the process I started troubleshooting. The problem is fixed when applying pressure on the lower part of the screen. I have included a screenshot with an arrow showing the exact point. It feels like there is a cable there sticked to the LCD (I am not refering to the white cable below). Does that mean I need a whole LCD replacement? If yes, what is the part number for it? Are there any alternatives that Acer recommends e.g premium screens that fit the specific model?

Thanks in advance! 

photo.JPG

• laurent_14

Hello,

You have two little cables (white and black). These are the Wifi antenna and they are located around the LCD panel on the back cover.

My first suggest was the inverter... You have to replace the LCD panel (the inverter is sticked on this one). 

Here are the original LCD panels:

Spoiler
    KL.15605.015LCD PANEL.LED.AUO.15.6'W.WXGA .GL.eDP
    KL.15605.017LCD PANEL.LED.15.6"WXGA.NGL
    KL.15608.010LCD PANEL.LED.15.6".WXGA.GL.eDP
    KL.15608.012LCD PANEL.15.6'W.NGL
    KL.1560D.003LCD PANEL.15.6'W.G.eDP
    KL.1560D.007LCD PANEL.LED.WXGA.NGL

You'll find a white label behind the LCD panel with the brand and P/N. Tomorrow I'll give you a link of compatible LCD panels.

France
  • Midas

Thank you Laurent!

• Midas

Just a small note, my original screen has a resolution of 1920 x 1080. 

• laurent_14

Hello Philip,

Your last message was useful for my research!

To summarize, you own an Aspire V5-573G with a matte FHD screen (1920x1080).

In my previous reply, I only stated HD screens (1366x768). I didn't find FHD screen in my parts list.

After some research, I finally found the part number of your screen Smiley Tongue:

KL.15605.008LCD PANEL.LED.15.6.FHD.NGL.eDP.IPS

It's an AUO B156HAN01.2 (None Glare=Matte, FHD 1920x1080). You'll see the white label on their picture.

Otherwise here is a compatible screen for your laptop (the price is correct). I suggest you to contact the reseller to confirm:

- The position of the EDP connector

- Is it a matte or glossy screen

Note:

I wish you much luck for the future! I'm also European...

France
  • Midas

Merci beaucoup Laurent!

I have contacted them and asked those questions. Thank you very much for your help and your support (including that note). Much appreciated!

// Philip

• delphinium
    delphinium Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi! I too have the exact same problem with the same acer v5-573G laptop. Only difference is mine has reached the next level where tapping the screen or applying pressure to the middle of the bottom part of the screen/bezel no longer makes the screen go back to normal.
    I also figured it was likely to be the LCD cable and ordered one a while back, waiting for it to arrive still. But I see this didn't fix the problem for you. What did you end up doing, and did you get your screen back to normal?

• Midas

Unfortunately, the cable didn't work. It was the LCD that had an issue so I replaced it with this component: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-15-6-FHD-LED-LAPTOP-SCREEN-MATTE-FOR-ACER-SPARES-KL-15605-008-KL15605008-/400870690767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d55c14fcf

It worked great! Those guys will gladly help you with any questions. The installation was pretty easy, even though I've never done such a thing before. What was a pain in the ***** was not connecting the LCD, but putting back those tiny cables and seal the screen again. You will probably have to figure it out once or twice Smiley Happy 

• delphinium
    delphinium Member Posts: 2 New User

Aah so it was the screen that was causing the issue. Thanks for the link, I'm not quite sure if I will be buying a new screen, it's a bit in the upper price range of what I was thinking to spend on trying to fix the laptop, vs buying a new one. I'm using it at the moment connected to the TV screen, but I also need something that is portable.

I've seen a couple of videos on youtube on deassembling, and I have already taken a peek inside the laptop, so I'm counting on being able to install the screen if I end up buying Smiley Happy

• spejnor
    spejnor Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi

I have the same model - Acer Aspire V5-573G with FHD screen, and for some reason i got the left side of the screen (approximate 6 cm from the side) flickering in all sorts of color, after an hour or so it calmed down and only flickered when tapping. After about 3 hours the side of the screen went completely black, not responding to anything. No tapping, pressing the sides of the monitor or anything helped. As I'm now writing this two days later, the left side went from black to normal again! 5 min later it's back to changing colors and responding to tapping. 

Since the left hinge is very close, and the cable goes through it, I first guessed a new cable will help. But do you think it could be something else?

Connecting to external monitor works fine.

Grateful for any help. 

2017-07-06 13.39.16.jpg