Increasing video memory on Aspire 5741G

Maak
Maak Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire 5741G laptop with 4 GB of RAM (DDR3) and 512 MB of video memory. The specifications state that the VGA memory can be upgraded up to 2235 MB HyperMemory. However, when I log into BIOS there is no option to change the video memory. Is there another way to do that?

Processor: Intel Core i5-430M (2.26GH, 3MB L3 cache)

VGA: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

BIOS Version: V1.10

VGA BIOS Version: ATI VGA VER012.020.000.032.037698

Thank you

Answers

• Hello,

The amount of the graphic memory (HyperMemory) is calculated like this:

Total HyperMemory = (System Memory – 512) / 2 + Discrete graphics amount.

E.g. Memory 4Gb and VGA 512Mb===> 2034Mb max.

This available amount is managed following the needs of the system.

You'll find informations in this Sapphire webpage. You can set nothing.

France
  • Maak

Thank you Laurent for explaining the concept of HyperMemory which I obviously misunderstood. My plan was to upgrade my system to 8 GB of RAM so that VGA memory could be increased beyond 512 MB. Now I still have the question, is there anything I can do to increase the VGA memory?

• Hello,

Sorry for the delay!

the VGA memory can be upgraded up to 2235 MB HyperMemory

That's the maximum. IIRC, you can see the amount with:

RUN - DXDIAG - Display tab.

GPU manages from 512 to 2235MB (512+shared memory).

is there anything I can do to increase the VGA memory?

Up to 2235MB. Nothing.

France
  • Maak

Thanks for following up. I run that command and found the value 2226 MB. But games installers only identify 512 MB as dedicated VGA memory. Does this mean that it's useless to upgrade the RAM because the VGA will remain always 512 MB (and games requiring higher VGA memory won't run)?!

• Hello,

Does this mean that it's useless to upgrade the RAM because the VGA will remain always 512 MB (and games requiring higher VGA memory won't run)?

No. As you can read on the Sapphire webpage:

"To calculate the Hypermemory for systems with 4GB or greater of system memory, you must use the “Visible System Memory” found in the Windows Vista Properties control panel page in the calculation: Total HyperMemory (for systems with 4GB or greater of system memory) = (Visible System Memory – 512) / 2 + Discrete graphics amount."

So you'll have more "hypermemory". 512MB+shared memory.

I made a little mistake: 512Mb+4Gb=~2'304Mb.

games requiring higher VGA memory won't run?

My original graphic board was a HD2400 pro 128Mb HyperMemory and 2Gb of system memory. Total up to 896Mb.

I used a CAD software (3D) with it and that worked perfectly. Sometime the timing was a little bit slow.

Sorry I'm not a gamer!Smiley Happy

France