Iconia 6120 lower screen error after Windows 10 Update to build 10586

Options
roly_p
roly_p Member Posts: 5 New User

Apart from occasional ghosting experienced by many users (related to static build up), the machine was working perfectly on Windows 10 Build 10240 (the first public release).

It updated itself to the 2nd main release (build 10586) and all appeared to go well, but after the time it took to update, all I did initially was to establish that the main screen and keyboard looked ok, and shut it down using touch on the main screen.

Next time it started up and tried to use the keyboard, the lower touch screen had started to register it's touches on the top screen but mirrored. I have re-installed anything that looks vaguely related to graphics or touch from the recovery app but still no joy. It is definitely a Windows/driver problem, as the smaller boot-up keyboard that appears briefly before windows starts to load, actually registers touch on the lower screen correctly, so the hardware is working as it should.

Currently running on top screen only in tablet mode - fine for web browsing, but as a software developer this is not a workable solution, so have to plug in an external keyboard and mouse.

I have seen a post on Youtube from someone who claims to have got round this problem by reinstalling the recovery apps and drivers, but I've had no luck with this (tried both from recovery app and downloaded from Acer site). Has anyone else had thos probblem and managed to solve it? If so please share your solution.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,581 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>I have seen a post on Youtube from someone who claims to have got round this problem by reinstalling the recovery apps and drivers, but I've had no luck with this (tried both from recovery app and downloaded from Acer site). >>>

Does this mean that you also tried to restore the system to an earlier date before the 10586 update took place?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• roly_p
    Options

Hi Jack,

No, I haven't tried reverting to the older pre-update Windows, as it took nearly a day (slow internet here) to download and install the latest Windows update (it's pretty much a complete version upgrade), so I was hoping to move forward and get things working on this version.

I'm guessing that the machine would behave as before (i.e. normally) if I did restore successfully, but of course that relies on Microsoft's restore process leaving me exactly where I was before!

So I'm hanging on to this version for a bit and hoping that a genuis can work out what needs to be done, as I can survive on a mechanical keyboard for a while.

• JackE
    Options

OK. Have you checked for Acer driver updates for your particular machine? If not, tune to

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Best to use your machine's snid.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• roly_p
    Options

Well I think a combination of perseverance and Windows updates has finally cured it, via an even worse problem.

Having reinstalled the original graphics driver from recovery (and then again from Acer download) the original problem seemed to be fixed after fiddling with settings to invert lower screen etc.

I then started to get the problem that every time I touched the upper screen, I got a blue-screen un-smiley face with the message "Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" and had to reboot.

Windows update then re-installed the later graphics driver, and the lower screen kept behaving, but the memory error also persisted.

About 4 days/non-crash restarts later after I had gone back to USB keyboard and mouse, I forgot and started touching the top screen, and this time no memory errors.

Now been ok for a week, and just back to the comparatively bearable ghost touches, from static build-up.

So the problem(s) are fixed, but unfortunately I can't give any definitive explanation of how, to help anyone else in the same boat.

• JackE
    Options

>>>So the problem(s) are fixed, but unfortunately I can't give any definitive explanation of how, to help anyone else in the same boat.>>>

Hey, been there, also done that many times. So congrats anyway!

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ