I wiped my hard drive and can not reciver Win 7

magicgraywolf
magicgraywolf Member Posts: 9 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I tried to remove Grub/Ubuntu and ended up deleting Win 7. At least it will not boot. And if I use my repair disk it does not retore my Win 7. I get errors the the hard drive is bad, or the MBR needs to be reset. I did that today. When I insurt my Repair disc, it takes me back toSystem Recovery Opens. I've tired the Startup repair, no change. I've tried the Command Prompt to reset the MBR. Unknown if changed or reset. Can not boot the 4 recovery discs, and if I use the Recovery management it does not take me to a click on any key. But back to the System Recovery Options page.

I've tried everything I know short of taking the computer back to where I bought it and see if they can fix it. I am not sure what else to try from here. I suspect that I've made things worse as I've gone forward with trying to remove Ubuntu and Grub, and install win 7 back. I am not sure if I have bunded out the Hard drive, or just wipped it clean of all hidden and non hidden information.

Can anybody suggest how I might return to just using Win 7. Some have suggested doing a full format of the hard drive. But I can't get to the hard drive to do that. And I am not sure if my Win 7 repair and or recovery discs will boot in any case. In order to get to the system recovery option I have to open the boot menu and click on the DVD/ROM. The repair disc nor the recovery discs will boot nor do I get a press any key page prior to opening the repair disc, and the recovery discs will not even open then. Any help would be greatly welcomed at this point.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

if you have your windows recovery disk available and a Ubuntu live CD, boot from Ubuntu, open gparted and completly wipe your HDD.

then power off, insert your windows recovery disk, boot pressing F12 and choose to boot form DVD and try to install; the recovery disk need a completly wiped HDD to work (only simple raw data)

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

if you have your windows recovery disk available and a Ubuntu live CD, boot from Ubuntu, open gparted and completly wipe your HDD.

then power off, insert your windows recovery disk, boot pressing F12 and choose to boot form DVD and try to install; the recovery disk need a completly wiped HDD to work (only simple raw data)

• magicgraywolf

Thanks for the help. I have booted Ubuntu and it wants me to try or install. Do I need to install it to get to gparted?

• IronFly

Nope, it's ok also from the liveCD, no need to install.

• magicgraywolf

I now have the try ubuntu open. But I do not see how to get to gparted. Can you help?

• IronFly

click on the top left of your screen on Ubuntu icon and type gparted

• magicgraywolf

Sorry to trouble you. I am in GParted. What do I click on now, to wipe the harddrive. The red circle says to Delete the selected partition. Do I have to select each individually to wipe the disc?

• IronFly
    Probably you can delete the whole HDD with a single command or do it for any partitions.
  • magicgraywolf

What can I say? Thank you for all your help. I now have that computer up and running. Without your help, I probably would have ended up taking it to town. Thank you again.

• andy7734
    andy7734 Member Posts: 36 New User

Hi Ironfly, giving you kudos, until I'm prevented.

• IronFly
    You welcome. Smiley Happy
  • GATrapter
    GATrapter Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey my friend, I finally got my win 7 back. It worked fine for a few day, until I put the back up back. So now it is still telling me that something from Linux is still there. I and when I boot the Win 7 recovery disc. It opens the repair window. It will let me use the Repair and nothing else. When I click on Recovery. The only option I can click on in that window is Exit. So I go around and around.

I am trying to use the Hiren's BootCD Everything I have tried says "find set root bootmhr Error 15: File not found Press any key to continue" I don't know what to do short, of buying a brand new harddrive and starting over from there. I've been fighting this for better than two weeks now. Can you or some of our fellow community members assist me further. I am on a Gateway FX6860 Gamer Desktop.

• GATRaptor
    GATRaptor Member Posts: 12 New User

Still having problems getting my Acer/Gateway computer to accept a restore. I am not sure if it is the hard drives, or something else is what I am having problems with. I took out the original hard drive. And left the back up one intact. I ran the restore program from the computer. It finally loaded windows 7. A day or two later. Using Hiren's Boot CD. The computer went right back to the same condition as it had with the other drive. I am not sure what I did or if using Hirem's Boot CD caused the problem.

The hard drive is plugged into the original plug for "C' drive. in other words, I am having the same problem, and need help. Merry Christmas, or whatever you beliefs might be for this time of year.

• GATRaptor
    GATRaptor Member Posts: 12 New User

Good morning everybody. I am happy to say that the recovery disc's are just fine. I installed another hard drive into that computer. I ran one at a time and tried to run the recovery disc's. The old one that I tried for the last few days to get to boot, still would not boot. So I unplugged that one and ran the recovery disc's It went right to work installing Windows, and the Gateway information.

I guess someplace along the line I corrupted both of the old hard drives. Maybe when I tried using Hiten's BootCD to try and format the hard drives and start over. But that is after I had so much trouble with them. So needless to say. I will stay away from that boot disc for sure. Besides Many of the programs on it say they would not work, or has nothing in them...

For sure I will keep the links that you all provided for future reference.

Now I guess I should open a new thread if I can't find how to check the hardware to see if anything is failing, or bad. I also want to now if there is a way to check my external hard drives to see if the are corrupted in some way. Also is there a way to restore at least the last hard drive and or check those two hard drives for trouble.

Thanks again to all of you for putting up with me and my nonsense.

• IronFly

Hiren's boot cd, is used by every PC tech around the world and it will never destroy your HDD if your HDD is not already faulty.

so please don't say that Hiren's boot cd killed your HDD.