I need help to force fan on Aspire 9800 laptop

Rentagok
Rentagok Member Posts: 13 New User

Hello, Acer community!

I have this massive beast of its time that I was trying to fix sometime before and none of the solutions worked for me. Problem is graphics card and CPU are under same heat pipe and GPU overheats faster than CPU so fans don't kick in time so it just shuts off.

I've tried many fan controlling applications and none of them can't force it to be on.

Thermal paste was refreshed and applied properly.

Sensor wire from fan was pulled out as well.

Only possible way that I think would be to modify bios file to make fan kick in earlier or find application that can control it Smiley Sad Maybe even find replacement motherboard.

Only way it can work if I keep 80mm fan right on top of GPU chip to keep laptop running.

My father gave it to me for fixing and he really hopes one day it will be back working perfectly as before Smiley Very Happy.

Time passed by I'm trying again fresh maybe this time will be successful any help is appreciated!

Cooling pad would help but I couldn't find one for 20.1 Inch laptop haha.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

What Windows version is on the machine now?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rentagok

It's running Windows 7 Pro 32bit

• JackE

>>>Sensor wire from fan was pulled out as well.>>>

What do you mean by this?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rentagok

It's a 3 pin laptop fan layout so I pulled 3 pin and left just ground and power in there.

• JackE

What happened when you left it off?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rentagok
    I was hoping it would be on constantly but it didnt affect anything
  • JackE

Two questions.

1-Has GPU overheating shutdown always been an issue?

2-Does the GPU have the copper heatsink attached?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rentagok
    Yes they are under same heat pipe as cpu I replaced thermal paste already
  • JackE

Does the existing bios menu have fan adjustment options with all its wires attached? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rentagok
    No unfortunatly, I wish someone could add that Smiley Very Happy
  • JackE

OK. Have you actually looked for the fan's temperature probe? It likely will be attached to or near the heat sink with glass fiber tape? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rentagok
    Sorry Im not going to be home for holidays JackE I will get back to you soon Smiley Happy. As I remember there was no temp probes anywhere. Happy Holidays!
  • JackE

OK, Happy Holidays. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rentagok

Ok im back turns out that I mistaked 9800 model for 9810 but they share similar mainboards I believe.

Theres no temperature probes and this time I found some shady repair work from repair store my father gave laptop to. I removed excess thermalpaste and modernized his bridge he made to transfer heat from gpu heatpipes onto cpu heatpipes. Let's see if it works!

• Rentagok

That was not sucessful, but lasted longer than before. Smiley Sad

• JackE

Can you easily remove the fan? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rentagok

Yeah easily accessible and can be removed by undoing 3 screws.

• JackE

>>>It's a 3 pin laptop fan layout so I pulled 3 pin and left just ground and power in there.>>>

I like your original idea of a fulltime fan since this "beast", as you call it, is probably mostly used like a plugged-in desktop than a battery-only laptop. I think you have many choices. But first, does the existing fan have its specs listed on a frame label --- voltage,wattage, color coding, etc --- if not how about a model/part number? Jack E/NJ

9810fan.jpg

Jack E/NJ

• Rentagok

I tested fan from my homemade usb cable and it works perfectly no grinding noises at full speed.

Do you think heatpipes expire overtime and loose their effiency?

I will take it appart soon again and send all info and attach picture aswell.

I still don't understand why mainboard doesn't care about GPU only kicks in when CPU hits certain temperature.

• JackE

In response to my earlier question, I got the impression from your response that overheating has more or less always been an issue with this machine. This seems consistent with the fact that an optional external auxiliary boost fan assembly specifically made for the 9800/9810 series is sold for $20 on Amazon.

So, no, I don't think the heatpipe has degraded. All this evidence suggests to me that the original cooling system was simply not designed to handle the demands that the newer operating systems & software are imposing on the older less;efficient gpu & cpu in this system. 

If the existing fan tests OK then, if it were mine, I'd connect it to whichever 2 lines from the mainboard/power supply that will deliver fulltime power. If it still overheats with the fan running continuously, I'd try the Amazon  boost fan for the 9810 to see if that at least helps reduce the overheating episodes.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ