I just replaced my motherboard and now my wifi will not turn on. Any suggestions?

Opciones
papakilo926
papakilo926 Member Publicaciones: 4 New User
editado marzo 2023 en Archivo del 2017

While replacing a keyboard on my Aspire laptop, i broke the clip that holds the keyboard ribbon in place.  A friend suggested that I replace the motherboard.  I did and it appears that I have all components back in place.  The laptop runs fine and is actually quieter and smoother.  However, my wifi will not enable.  I checked the black and white wire connections and those are in place as well.  I plugged in an ethernet cable to make sure I can get on the internet and that was successful.  Any other suggestions of why the wifi will not enable?

Pat

Respuestas

• JackE
    JackE ACE Publicaciones: 44,595 Trailblazer
    Opciones

What is your model number and operating system version? Have you tried to toggle the wifi on with the Fn+F3 combo? If yes, and it still won't work, what errors or warnings does Device Mgr show? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• papakilo926
    Opciones

My model is an Aspire 5253 Model P5WE6.  Operating system is Windows 10.  I have tried to use the Fn+F3 and it will not turn on.  No errors displayed, When I go to settings and try to turn on wifi, it will not come on.  

• JackE
    Opciones

>>>Operating system is Windows 10.>>>

Are you absolutely sure that the wifi functioned under Win10 with the old mainboard? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• papakilo926
    Opciones

The wifi was working just fine.  Would I need to download the Atheros Driver?  

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Publicaciones: 28,140 Trailblazer
    Opciones

Hi,

Yes, you need to install the driver, also check in Settings, Network and Internet, click WiFi(left pane) and make sure it's ON.

Capture.JPG

• papakilo926
    Opciones

Any recommendations on finding the driver.  I've been working on that the last hour and thought I had it but I still have the same issue.  I did go to settings and turn on the wifi but when I select "show available networks" it turns off.

• JackE
    Opciones

If you're still using the same HDD that you had on the old mainboard and no changes have been made to the HDD, the correct driver should already be on the HDD since the wifi was working with the old mainboard. Again, does Device Mgr show any warnings or problems with the network adapters?  Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ