I have a Acer Aspire 5349 laptop. I just put in a new hard drive and I purchased from Acer recovery

Options
Lyn123
Lyn123 Member Posts: 11 New User

I put the systems disc in my cd drive but it will not boot. I looked in my bios and I do see my cd listed and I selected it for start up. Does anybody have any answers. I have been working on this for 2 days and I am at my wits end at this point. I even saved the disk files to a flash drive but that did not work either. Help.

[edited for clarity]

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

can you check if the new HDD is listed on BIOS SATA devices?

press F2 at boot.

i don't think that size will be an issue but you must check if HDD is read by BIOS.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

if a CD doesnt' boot, probably is not marked as bootable and if you only copy files from CD to USB, this will not solve your problem.

your USB flash drive must be formatted to FAT32, you can copy all the CD content and then you need to mark the USB partition as bootable.

if you have a working windows PC with 7 or 8.x, just plug the USB flash drive, follow this instruction to set bootable partition:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mark-partition-active#1TC=windows-7

• Lyn123
    Options
    Why would the CD not be bootable it was sent to me from Acer as a Recovery package.
  • IronFly
    Options

Good.

at boot have you tried to press F12 and choose the CD as bootable device?

• Lyn123
    Options

My flash drive is already active Fat 32

• Lyn123
    Options
    Yes I did that. Could it not boot because the hard drive I put in is to large. It had a 230gb and I put in a 500 gb hard drive both are western digital
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

can you check if the new HDD is listed on BIOS SATA devices?

press F2 at boot.

i don't think that size will be an issue but you must check if HDD is read by BIOS.

• Lyn123
    Options
    Yes it is so is my cd rom and when I put in a flash drive in my usb I can see that too
  • IronFly
    Options

so if you have your Acer recovery disk, put it in the CD bay, boot pressing F12 and select the CD as bootable device then check if it asks to press any key to boot from cd and press it.

• Lyn123
    Options
    I have done all that several time it will not boot off either the cd or flash drive. I have spent way more money on this then I wanted to. I am so frustrated at this point I am ready to toss it in the garbage
  • Lyn123
    Options
    If I am seeing the had in my bios why would it not boot
  • IronFly
    Options

unplug the HDD and try to boot from the CD only.

how many Acer recovery CDs do you have?

• Lyn123
    Options
    I have 1 systems disk, 3 recovery disks and 1 language disk
  • Lyn123
    Options
    How can it boot if I don't have a hdd in
  • Lyn123
    Options
    Are you still there
  • IronFly
    Options

You can boot from CD and check if boots to install, at the end it will give you a warning about missing HDD but CD must boot even without an HDD.

Are you booting from the system cd?

• Lyn123
    Options
    Yes and it will not boot I have loaded all the disk on to an external hard drive but how to I get them to save on the internal hard drive when I can't boot it
  • IronFly
    Options

i can't help any further if your system is not capable to boot from CD and USB too, i'm sorry.