I have a 5742 laptop that will not boot.

Options
bcsapper
bcsapper Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives
I have an Acer 5742 laptop that has Windows 7 home and Ubuntu on it. It normally boots to the Ubuntu options menu from which I select Windows 7. (I haven't got around to doing anything with Ubuntu yet)

Turned it on today and it tries to boot. It gets as far as the initial ACER screen, and the "Press F2 to enter setup" and "Press F12 to change boot device " messages at the bottom of the screen, then shuts down, and repeats. Over and over again. It doesn't respond to F2 or F12, and a repair disk in the DVD drive doesn't have time to do anything. I can hear the drive reading the disk initially, but it shuts down and repeats before it can read the disk enough to boot from it.

Oh, and I can't turn it off. It won't stop repeating. I have to remove the battery to shut it off.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Can you disconnect the HDD and try if you can enter BIOS?

the HDD makes any ticking sound?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • bcsapper
    Options

The HDD doesn't make any noise.  I'll try disconnecting it and see what happens...

• bcsapper
    Options

Well, this is embarrassing.  When I took it out to remove the Hard Drive I tried to boot it once, just because, and it worked as normal.  I tried the boot operation many, many times before I posted the question, so it wasn't just a one off issue. 

I'll leave this as unsolved for a day or two to see if anyone has any suggestions as to what might have happened.  Thanks

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Probably the HDD was not well seated or dirty contacts, it can happen.

Check also if ram sticks are well plugged.

I'm not an Acer employee.