I cannot charge my new battery in my Aspire-One (AOA110) netbook.

Options
Travelli
Travelli Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I bought a new battery for my Aspire-One (AOA110) netbook.  I flashed the BIOS according to instructions and, after waiting for a day while the netbook was telling me that the battery was being charged, the netbook told me that the battery was 100% charged.  I diconnected the charging cable and, immediately, the netbook told me that I had to reconnect it because the netbook was out of power.  The battery charge had immediately dropped from 100% to 0%!

I have repeated the same operation several times, with identical results.

Is the new battery defective?  Or should I do something else? 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,618 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>I flashed the BIOS according to instructions >>>

What instructions are you referring to?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Travelli
    Travelli Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

From the Acer Support FAQ:

My Aspire One AOA110 or AOA150 battery no longer recharges, what should I do?

Note: These instructions are only for the Acer Aspire One AOA-110 and the Acer Aspire One AOA-150 netbook series and should not be performed on any other model Acer Aspire One.

If the battery discharges below a certain charge level, it may not be able to be recharged unless the System BIOS is flashed to revision 3309 or later.
    Updating the BIOS will require a USB flash drive to store the BIOS information on during the update.

Getting the BIOS update:

1. Go to the Acer drivers and download pageand download the latest BIOS for the netbook.
    2. Extract the files from the downloaded zipped BIOS file.
    3. In theDos_Flash folder, rename the BIOS file from fd to ZG5IA32.FD, in all capital letters.
    4. Copy theFD and Fla**bleep**.exe files to the USB flash drive

Flashing the BIOS to the netbook:

1. Ensure that the AC adapter is plugged into the netbook.
    2. Insert the USB flash drive into a USB port.
    3. Press and Hold down the Fn and the Esc keys together and press the power button.
    4. When the netbook's power light comes on wait a few seconds and release the Fn and Esc keys.
    5. After the keys have been released the power light will start to blink.
    6. During the BIOS update process the display will be blank.
    7. Let the netbook run and after approximately one to seven minutes, the netbook should reboot and the BIOS will be updated.

If the netbook fails to reboot, or the BIOS was not updated sucessfully, try the steps again. If the unit continues to fail to reboot, please contact Acer support.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,618 Trailblazer
    Options

OK. You first asked >>>Is the new battery defective? >>>

Possibly. Do you have a multimeter with which you can probe voltages between the battery contacts. You might have to use a needle or pin small enough to reach the battery's metal contacts.  There may be a half-dozen or more contacts.

Start probing between 2 contacts at a time until you find a voltage output at least as high as imprinted on the battery's label.

I usually start by probing the two outermost contacts. Then move inward on one pin toward the other pin that's left in its outermost position. And so on and so forth. There are many combinations to try. If you can't find a pair of contacts whose voltage output is equal to or greater than the label indicates, then yes, I'd think the battery was defective.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ