I can't update windows 10 on my Aspire One Cloudbook 11 even with 32 GB drive added.

woodallkg
woodallkg Member Posts: 5 New User

I have an Aspire One Cloudbook 11. It came loaded with Windows 10 but it said it needed more room to update. When I added a 32GB thumb drive, it still says that there's not enough room. It looks like it only added a few KB to that. I don't see an Aspire entry for the forum.

Thanks!

Kathy

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

You need to install a larger eMMC hard drive for the OS updates. A thumb drive won't cut it.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• woodallkg

Why would Acer sell me a computer that can't complete its basic functions, and why doesn't Microsoft prompt me to install this eMMC thing instead of a thumb drive? And why does Acer support seem to have no idea about this problem? Finally, I am not very tech savvy. What specs would I need if I purchased one of these, and would I be able to make it work?

Thank you so much, Kathy

• JackE

How much personal data and added programs do you estimate is now taking up space on the eMMC hard drive? Perhaps moving these non-operating system files to the thumb drive or an internet cloud drive will allow more space for the operating system updates on the hard drive. The main idea behind a cloud PC is to have only the bare minimum operating system files on the cloud machine's hard drive so as to allow access to and running of personal files and programs stored on an external drive such as an internet cloud drive (dropbox, googledrive, etc) In theory, at least. 8^)

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jamesdaltrey
    jamesdaltrey Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same problem. Was informed that my version of windows installed on my computer aspire cloud 11 bought two weeks ago needed updating to be secure. So when i tried it needed 20 giga !!!!!!!! not possible for lack of disc space,, so what now ?? I need this thing to be secure as i do quite a bit of online trading with BITCOINS !! So can someone here tell me what  are my options. If i had known i would not certainly have bought this !! I dont particurally like windows actually and would have preferred to install Linux system, but apparently that is not possible as it refused to boot this up for some reason. If some one copuld seriously get back to me I would appreciate it !!

• JackE

>>>Was informed that my version of windows installed on my computer aspire cloud 11 bought two weeks ago needed updating to be secure.>>>

Who informed you of this security claim regarding the Cloudbook 11 with factory-installed Win10?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• woodallkg

I have virtually no additional material loaded on the computer. There is literally not enough memory built into the Cloudbook to accomodate the update.

Thanks,

Kathy

• woodallkg

When I spoke with the help desk at Acer they told me it was a Microsoft problem and that I needed to contact them. They told me that if Microsoft could not resolve my problem, to reference by call number and they would take the computer back to fix.  I waited 45 minutes to talk to someone at Microsoft and gave up. Since then, I have not spent the time to follow through.

My son, who is much more knowledgeable than me scoured forums and was not able to solve the problem.

I would suggest calling Acer's help desk. You can reference my experiences as background. If you find anything more productive, please post results. (I have spent many, many hours so far.)

-Kathy

• JackE

>>>I would suggest calling Acer's help desk. You can reference my experiences as background. If you find anything more productive, please post results.>>>

Thanks Kathy. Since these are recent purchases under warranty, this may be the best advice for now. I'll hazard a guess that the main issue relates the existing MS Win10 update process. It probably hasn't been optimized yet on disk usage while it's actually running even though the resulting updated Win10 might not be any larger than the factory-installed Win10 that it replaces.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Cosi
    Cosi Member Posts: 2 New User

Kathy, I have a Aspire One Cloudbook 14, bought it new. I've had it for four weeks and it is doing exactly the same starting this morning. Also some of the keybord works only sporadically.

• Cosi
    Cosi Member Posts: 2 New User

I phoned Acer and they're authorizing a return "at their expense" I was promised. Great, however I need it daily for work and it will be horendous to limp along w/o a computer. Plus I have no idea how long until it returns.

• woodallkg

Thanks! Good luck!

--Kathy

• JackE

Cosi>>>I've had it for four weeks >>>

How long is your seller's return policy? Some may be as long as 90 days.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• WilliamWhite
    WilliamWhite Member Posts: 3 New User

Just spent an hour on chat with Acer tech support. They are aware of this problem and are going to do nothing about it. They say it worked when I got it with the operating system that was on it which was windows 10. There is no work around and no way to upgrade the drive.  I can find no way to stop Windows 10 from updating so I guess all the thousands of people who bought this worthless piece of junk are just screwed. Way to go Acer I see why your market share is declining. SO if you have one of these maybe you can use it for a door stop. I have bought my last Acer product. I want to buy from someone who will support their products and that is not ACER. I will make sure no one I know buys another one and will post everywhere I can that they are not worth buying.

• JackE

Until such time the updating issues for these cloudbooks are resolved, I suggest that you go to control panel. Search update. Then for now turn off the automatic updating service. From time to time, you can manually check to see if the updating  issue has been resolved. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• WilliamWhite

ANd how do you suggest that I turn off updates from Control Panel. I can see not way to do that.

• JackE

In the upper right hand corner of control panel there should be a search function. Enter "update". Some choices should pop up, one of which will be Windows Update which should allow you to turn the service off along with some other choices. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• WilliamWhite

You knowledge of windows is astounding the is nothing there that allows me to turn off updates. Of course I am only running the latest version 1607. Maybe you are not updated.

• JackE

Win10 general search functions can be setup in a number of different ways by user preference. Google the following "windows 10" "turn off windows update service"

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ