How to solve "battery not charging" on Aspire One AO725?

Options
dergol
dergol Member Posts: 16 New User

I already tried the general fix for this offered by a few folks on Youtube and other sites, where you remove the battery and then uninstall the battery/power drivers in Device Manager.  Then turn off, put the battery back in and start up again, letting the drivers re-install afresh.  But this did not solve the problem for me.

Acer forums do not list this battery charging issue for the AO725 model, but they do mention it for a couple of other models of netbooks, saying that the battery will not charge once it reaches a state of complete depletion.  They instruct to update the BIOS.

I guess that is the next thing I will try even though it is not mentioned as a fix for my model.  Anyone else encounter this on the 725?  If so, were you able to fix it?

Thanks, dergol

Best Answer

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you're in the middle of traveling, I'd recommend waiting until you aren't going to be in a dire position on the super remote chance that the BIOS update fails, but with today's Windows based BIOS updates there isn't much of a risk, I would suggest updating the BIOS.

You mentioned that the netbook was used in 2012 and was put up until your recent travels, this would explain quite a bit when it comes to the battery. If the battery remained untouched for several years is going to noticable impact the performance of the battery. I don't believe that the battery performance has anything to do with any sluggishness of the system.

Answers

• keith111
    keith111 Member Posts: 79 Troubleshooter
    Options

If you have a volt meter, test for proper voltage adapter readings. Sometimes a wall outlet is not working or is set up to turn lamps off at a wall switch. Use caution with higher voltages.

• dergol
    Options

Traveling.  Don't have voltmeter.  Also has happened with multiple outlets, every outlet I have tried.

• keith111
    Options

If your traveling far, you may be into a different electric frequency range. Something to ponder.

• nadfyv
    nadfyv Member Posts: 42 New User
    Options

your battery is needs to be calibrate, the youtube video your talking about helps me to get my battery perform well Smiley Happy

• dergol
    Options

No, don't think this is it either.  Was happening to me back in US at home too just before I left.

• Cory-Acer
    Options

Hi dergol,

There are several potential answers here but the most likely would be that the battery has failed. If the system powers on and the battery will not charge/will not hold a charge, replacing the battery is the most likely resolution.

A couple other simple steps as you mentioned would be the update the BIOS on the off chance it's affecting the the way the battery is charging. Also, cleaning the contacts between the battery and the netbook has a small chance of resolving the issue but a little rubbing alcohol and a swap  on the contacts would make sure there isn't an issue.

Here is the battery that we sell through our online store: http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/pd/ThemeID.35703000/productID.256690700

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• dergol
    Options
    Hi Cory, that's very disappointing if it is a battery failure. I bought this laptop 2 years ago for travel and just used it for 3 weeks in 2012. Then I put it away until now. Doesn't seem like a very robust battery. And since I am likely to put it away again till my next trip, seems like getting a new battery would likely just cause a repeat of the battery failure down the line.

I did see that there was a kb article which claimed some models of the aspire one needed a bios update to charge the battery once it had been fully depleted but mine was not among the named models. It also said not to update bios unless there was a specific fix you needed. Does this mean there is an added danger (more than the usual) if I tried to upgrade the bios? My main concern is losing use of the notebook completely while traveling if I tried to upgrade the bios ( though I have upgraded many bioses in my time).

Also experiencing very slow performance. Much slower than 2 years ago. I know this doesn't really sound viable but could the depleted battery be actually somehow affecting performance?
    Thanks Derek
  • keith111
    Options

It is important in any tool charging maintenance regime, from cordless drill to electric toothbrush, to care for the batteries properly. Keeping the batteries charged. And when travelling, having a traveller's adapter kit, cords, voltage surge protection, etc., is essential. There are copies of Acer user manuals online.

• dergol
    Options
    Keith, not sure what your point is exactly. My traveling did not cause the battery to fail. It was failing to charge before I left (as I mentioned earlier in the thread)). To your other points, I do carry adapters and a surge protector. I however do not carry electrical drills or electrical tool brushes.

I appreciate your attempts to help, but frankly your comments are consistently off point and not very helpful. I would appreciate if any further comments would take into account what I have already posted and address what I can do now and not what I should have done prior to departing.
    Thanks Derek
  • keith111
    Options

Check your user manual section on use and care of new batteries, and storage of batteries for extended periods.

• dergol
    Options

Thanks, Keith.  That's really helpful to me now while I'm on the road.  What are you going to tell me next, to chew my food well?

• keith111
    Options

Depending where you're at in the world, I would envy you about the food. Safe journeys. Smiley Happy

• dergol
    Options

BTW, one of the first things I did was check the manual.  It didn't help.

• Cory-Acer
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you're in the middle of traveling, I'd recommend waiting until you aren't going to be in a dire position on the super remote chance that the BIOS update fails, but with today's Windows based BIOS updates there isn't much of a risk, I would suggest updating the BIOS.

You mentioned that the netbook was used in 2012 and was put up until your recent travels, this would explain quite a bit when it comes to the battery. If the battery remained untouched for several years is going to noticable impact the performance of the battery. I don't believe that the battery performance has anything to do with any sluggishness of the system.

• dergol
    Options
    Thanks Cory. I appreciate the advice.
  • rongoldenbeard
    rongoldenbeard Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I'm having a similar issue, my Aspire one has a message battery connected not charging, I thought it was the battery that was the problem so purchased a new one, same problem. started reading up about it and lots of articles about the bios being the problem. went to the website and the only bios update listed was a windows exe one, tried that and it comes up with message battery must be 30% charged, but i can't charge battery as there is an issue, going round in circles at the moment

any help would be appreciated

• Gmagic
    Gmagic Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    i have an ACER Aspire One AO756-2840  v2.21. I bought 2 new ac adapters and 2 new batteries and can't get the battery to charge..Bottom line is it has nothing to do with either the charger or battery. It is either a motherboard problem, bios problem. Since no has a valid answer to this question, i will never buy another ACER computer again. I bought this second hand as the person just told me it needed a new battery. After 2 months trying to find a solution with new battery and charger, I gave up. I'm not about to replace a motherboard on a netbook only worth $50 at best.

• Hex
    Hex Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options
    Another acer aspire one AOA150 battery issue. Sure it is old but it works well when plugged in and I have been using it like that for a few years. However I need to be able to run it off of the battery so,,,,My bios has been upgraded. I am running puppy linux and the desktop icon shows fully charged, yet in the device manager is shows the battery is not detected.
    What to do ?

and thanks
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    @Hex, you should start your own thread with your question (Use the Ask a Question button). You have a different model than this thread from 2014 and very likely a completely different issue. Be sure and give your full model number, what exactly you are seeing and what you have tried so far.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.