How to reset the default monitor on Acer 2920, laptop thinks still connected to an external monitor

Options
odelrivero
odelrivero Member Posts: 5 New User
Good morning, Hope you can help me! I have an Aspire 2920 laptop with Windows Vista Home Edition O.S. It starts and works fine except that after I was using it with an external monitor (a flat screen tv) on the option to use external monitor, it only now starts thinking the monitor is the flat screen tv and does not recognizes the normal laptop screen. The laptop screen is now "pixeled" and only shows like 2/3 of its total width. I've checked in Control Panel and it has the flat screen registered as the "normal" monitor, but I can not way a find to tell the computer that the monitor is the same as usual and not the flat screen tv. Thanks!!!

Best Answer

• odelrivero
    Answer ✓
    Options

Dear Laurent,

I´ve fixed the problem.

Did your suggestion of Power Reset and did not work, but keeping your idea, I hooked up an external monitor, got into Control Panel, deleted the "non-existant" monitor in the device section.

At this point, i had no image at all at the laptop and only in the external monitor.

Switch off the computer, and then did the Power Reset.

Since the computer did not have any other monitor, it then had to use the default one with the default resolution, etc.

Thanks, it was a great help!

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,093 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

[Fn]+[F5] - Display toggle: Switches display output between the display screen, external monitor (if connected) and both.

France
  • odelrivero
    Options

Dear Laurent,

Thanks for your quick reply!

I've tried that and it switches from the external flat screen tv to the laptop monitor.

The thing is that the computer has the flat screen tv that has a very high resolution, as the "default" monitor and the image on the screen is pixeled and only covers 2/3 of the screen, the rest is black.

I just do not know how to "tell" the computer that the the "defautl" installed monitor is the same old one that it is connected to.

• odelrivero
    Options

Please allow me to provide more info:

In Control Panel, the defautl screen driver has the flat screen as the installed hardware not the standard laptop monitor, but i cant find a way to tell the laptop that the flat screen is no the right installed hardware

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,093 Trailblazer
    Options

Ok I understood what you mean.

Try a power reset.

What's your OS?

France
  • odelrivero
    Options

Windows Vista Home Edition Premium 2007 with SP2, not sure to know how to make a Power Reset, let me look at it and get back to you. Thanks!!!!!

• odelrivero
    Answer ✓
    Options

Dear Laurent,

I´ve fixed the problem.

Did your suggestion of Power Reset and did not work, but keeping your idea, I hooked up an external monitor, got into Control Panel, deleted the "non-existant" monitor in the device section.

At this point, i had no image at all at the laptop and only in the external monitor.

Switch off the computer, and then did the Power Reset.

Since the computer did not have any other monitor, it then had to use the default one with the default resolution, etc.

Thanks, it was a great help!