How to reformat my Acer Aspire One D260

Options
zinc7
zinc7 Member Posts: 15 New User

My Acer Aspire One D260 needed eRecovery disks to start over.  (That's a different story.)  The eRecovery disks purchased from the Acer store fail 46% of the way through copying files.  The error message is "Restore failed-Error code=0x17(Data error (cyclic redundancy check).)

I would like to reformat my hard drive so that when I use the Recovery disks, they won't get stuck or fail.  Thank you!!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if your OS is windows 7, when you boot from the recovery disk

choose to repair your computer

tick "use recovery tools....." and click on next

now click on Command prompt

once in command prompt type

diskpart
    type
    select disk 0
    type
    clean

this will wipe your HDD

type exit, power off your computer and then reboot from recovery media and choose to install your OS.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • zinc7
    Options

Dear Ace IronFly,

Thank you for the advice.  Right now i do not know how to get to Command prompt.  I was 46% of the way along restoring my Acer to factory default.  So yes, it DID have Windows 7 Starter OS, but I believe the System + two Recovery disks in the Acer eRecovery kit i purchased had been busily erasing everything as it restored files.  Three times it got to the very same spot at 46% complete before asking me to insert the "windows installation disk", and choose "repair your computer".  I do not have any Windows disks except the eRecovery disks mentioned above because the Acer computer came with Windows 7 Starter installed. 

Right now I can press control-alt-delete and get the Acer name on a black screen with two options at the bottom:  F2 for set-up and F12 for boot order.  What i thought would work is to wipe out or reformat the hard drive so that it will accept the eRecovery disks without getting stuck on "cyclic redundancy check".  I can also get the Acer to reboot from a DVD drive using the eRecovery System disk, but then it proceeds to the 46% sticking spot.  Any more thoughts?  Many thanks!!

• IronFly
    Options

at this point i suggest you to create a bootable USB or CD media from Hiren's boot cd .iso

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
    unzip the zip file, burn the .iso file to CD or USB pen/external HDD

power off your PC with a long press power button and boot from the burned media and choose mini-xp from the options, once in the desktop, double click "command prompt"

then type
    diskpart
    type
    select disk 0
    type
    clean

shutdown Mini Xp

now boot from your recovery media

• zinc7
    Options

Dear IronFly,

Thanks.  I will try and let you know what happens.

Zinc7

• zinc7
    Options

Hi IronFly,

Okay.  I burned the download Hiren's Boot CD 15.2 to a CD, then told my Acer to boot from that CD in an external drive.  The only thing that happened was a blinking cursor, followed by a stationary cursor, in the upper left corner of a black screen.  Eventually I got the old screen message to insert a windows installation disk, the one i never had.

Is the blinking cursor a command prompt, by any chance?  If so, in your instructions, after I type "diskpart", do I press enter before typing "select disk 0" etc.?

(Also I checked to see that my Acer still boots from the eRecovery Systems disk, and I could hear the external drive whirring when the Acer tried to boot from the Hiren's Boot CD.)

Any more ideas?  Thank you!!!

zinc7

• IronFly
    Options

nope, the CD must boot and you will see a menu from which select mini xp.

your burned the .iso file, not the .zip, i suppose.

by the way, if you boot from the Acer system CD, are you able to select repair my computer...and follow my first post?

• zinc7
    Options

Hi IronFly,

aughh..  Okay I will try to burn a different CD that has zip in it.   ???  I will try.

Believe me if i saw anything like "repair your computer"  I would click it...  The Acer Systems CD only boots to the choices shown on the Acer You tube videos.

So we think I burned the wrong CD.  Hmm...  I will try again.

zinc7

• zinc7
    Options

Hi IronFly,

I last booted my Acer with a file called "Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip."  Is this correct?  I asked my computer to verify the file on the CD before I used it.

Thank you,

zinc7

• zinc7
    Options

IronFly,

OH!!!   OH!!!  Unzip the zip file.  Burn the iso file.  OH!!!  I'll get back to you.

Thank you!!

zinc7

• zinc7
    Options

Dear IronFly,

In trying to reformat my Acer Aspire One D260, I downloaded Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip, unzipped the file and found 7 files inside.  The last file contained almost all the KB's of stored data and had the name:  Hiren's.BootCD.15.2.iso .  I burned that iso file to a blank CD-RW and had the computer verify it.  Then I looked at what was on the CD and the CD did contain about the correct amount of data, however there was no mention of an iso file.  The CD contained LOTS of files and folders within a folder called HBCD, but no iso file anymore.  Please tell me whether it is normal not to see an iso file on the CD.

Booting from this CD, my Acer got nowhere except to the blinking cursor, solid cursor, then the screen that says to insert the Windows Installation disk that I do not have.

Thank you!  You are being extremely patient!!!

zinc7

• IronFly
    Options

yes, it's correct that you find a lot of files inside the CD.

that's strange that you are not able to boot from this CD.

did you press F12 at boot and choose CD as bootable device?

let's try another way.

download mini partition tool bootable, burn the .iso file on CD or USB:

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

then try to boot and wipe all the partition.

• zinc7
    Options

IronFly,

Wow!  You're always out there!!  Thank you.

Yes i did learn how to press F12 and re-order devices from which to boot.  Those eRecovery disks are CD's, but my acer has no CD player.  (So maybe that's it??)  I bought a new CD/DVD external drive in order to use the eRecovery disks I purchased.  That's when i learned how to re-order the booting devices, and i know how to go check and make sure the Acer is booting first from the CD drive.  (At least I am learning things from this experience.)  Also I can hear the Acer try to boot from the CD.

I will try your latest suggestion now.

Thank you so much!

zinc7

• zinc7
    Options

IronFly,

Good news and bad news.  The good news is that it was easy to download MiniTool Partition Wizard and to boot my Acer from the disk I burned.  Then I had LOTS of choices.  Disk 1 was listed as having PQ Service, System Reserved, and Acer.  I right-clicked on Acer, and selected "wipe partition".  After that the Acer line read "unformatted, 0 GB used".  Before wiping partitions it read that about 1% of Acer was used. 

Then I tried using the eRecovery disks again, but the recovery stopped at 46% at the same point in copying the files as the three times before.  I looked at the Recovery 1 disk, and it does have a scratch starting at the center and coming out radially for about 2 cm.  It doesn't look like much, but maybe that is the problem?

Should I choose anything else from the MiniTool menu?  Should I wipe partitions from PQ Service and System Reserved as well as Acer?

Thank you!

zinc7

• IronFly
    Options
    You need to wipe all the partitions.
  • zinc7
    Options

IronFly,

Thank you for your help.  I wiped all the partitions on the Acer hard drive. 

The same thing happened when I tried to use eRecovery disks afterward wiping partitions from the Acer HD, except the recovery process ended at 45% instead of 46%.  I wonder if the recovery disks are the problem?  I will ask for new ones.

zinc7

• IronFly
    Options
    At this point the recovery CD can be the problem.