How to disable tapping on touchpad for Aspire v3-572

totoka
totoka Member Posts: 3 New User

I am unable to find a way to disable tap to click on touchpad for Aspire v3-572. I don't see a tab for changing this setting in Mouse settings from Control Panel or anywhere else. I tried reinstalling the Synaptics driver from Acer Recovery Management but still no luck. This is not acceptable. Am I the only one having this problem? 

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Go to device manager and uninstall the driver.

Tell it do delete the files.Click scan for new hardware or reboot and let windows install the intel driver and see if it helps.

If not get a new driver from Acer and install it.

• totoka
    After spending a few hours and reinstalling drivers, it turns out that the touchpad has been taken over by a recent windows update. So to change the setting, I needed to go to "mouse and touchpad" from "change PC settlings" in "settings", and change the drop down under " to help prevent the cursor from... " to "no tapping"
  • totoka
    But Acer, please create a working driver so that you can actually change the touchpad settings like gestures and sensitivity!!!
  • TinkJul
    TinkJul Member Posts: 1 New User

Don't do what Philetus said!! lol

Acer does not provide good info on how to do this. My Acer is a E15 touch. After much aggravation in trying to find out info from acer's online manuel and getting nowhere, I called Best Buy where I purchased the computer.

On my Acer on the bottom left next to the control key is a key with the blue letters Fn (function). Hold down Fn and then tap on the top function key F7. The F7 has a little screen icon with hand and the circle with line through it icon. Hold down the Fn key and the F7 key and the touchpad is off.

If you have a different computer maybe the keys are a little different, but there should be a way to do this on all the laptops.

Simple really if Acer just wouldn't tell me to go into my control panel, mouse and whatever that doesn't work and tell me the simple fix it would have saved me days of aggravation.

• brianHVB
    brianHVB Member Posts: 1 New User

I was havving difficulty with this on Windows 7. I wanted to turn offthe tap-to-click feature of the touchpad without having to disable the whole thing (which I can do with Fn + F7). The drivers that are installed by default under Win 7 do not have any touch-pad specific settings, only general mouse settings. Also the drivers that are available on the support page for the Acer v3-572 are not correct. When/if you install them, Windows will tell you that no changes were made becasue the existing (default) drivers were already up-to-date. You can manually install the drivers, but even so, it will not enable the "Device Settings" tab from the mouse control panel.

Instead download the Synaptic drivers from http://www.synaptics.com/resources. Pick the correct OS (Win 7 for me) and then run the setup program. This will install the drivers but may not actually set your touchpad to use that driver. If not, you will need to manually update the driver after it has been installed. To do this 

1. Open device manager [win_key + pause/break (key above pageup)]  --> Device Manager

2. Mice and other pointing devices

3. Select (dbl-click) on PS/2 compatiable mouse

4. Driver tab

5. Update Driver

6. Browse my Computer

7. Let me pick from a list

8. Uncheck "Show compatiable hardware"

9. From manufacturer select "Synaptics"

10. Select Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad

11. Click next

12. Ignore dire warning about unsigned driver.

13. Install

14. Restart

You now have two days to disable/customize the touch-pad. First, you should have a system tray icon that likes like a white page thing. Right clikc on it and choose ClickPad Properties (or play around with the other options from the menu). You can also get to the same ClickPad Properties by going to Start --> ControlPanel --> Mouse --> Device Settings Tab --> Settings.

Hope this helps someone else