How to boot back to EUFI from Legacy BIOS, pressing F2 getting "Operating System not found"

jlan421
jlan421 Member Posts: 5 New User

I have an Acer V5 571 touch running Windows 8, I went to the BIOS and changed from boot EUFI mode to Legacy BIOS mode and disable secure boot. When rebooted,  i got the F2 / F10 prompt, selected F2 (BIOS setup) but did not go to the BIOS settings, instead it looks like it went ahead and tried booting an OS then started getting "Operating System not found" error.   All the Windows 8 partitions stil exists, looks like windows 8 doesn't boot with Legacy BIOS mode, so I would like to change the boot mode back to EUFI but cannot do so since i cannot access the BIOS. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

-jsl

Answers

• MartinF
    MartinF Member Posts: 51 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Hi

You should still be able to get to BIOS.. try again, maybe you mistimed it?

Once in change it back to UEFI and you should be OK

• jlan421

I tried it several times, still going to its boot process (ex, pxe boot, etc) then getting the OS not found error. I also tried F10 (boot devices menu) and that is working, i can boot from dvd or usb.

• MartinF

Turn it off, turn it back on again.. as soon as the blue light comes on the power button, hammer F2 over and over.. I just tested it on my V5 and it let me back in to BIOS to switch it back to UEFI fine Smiley Happy

• jlan421

still the same, seems the BIOS got corrupted somehow, anyway i can reflash the BIOS on this laptop?

• MartinF

Hmm, strange - sorry it didn't help.

You could but seems like the UEFI BIOS downloadable from the Support site is only for Windows.. which doesn't help as you can't boot Windows.

You could try to run it from a bootable DOS USB Stick but probably wont work?

Could you make a bootable BartPE environment or similar and run the BIOS update from that?

You could install Windows 7/8 on the HDD in Legacy Mode, then flash the BIOS but that will mess with the original config of the HDD unless you have another one to put in temp, install windows, flash bios to uefi, then put the old hdd back in.

If none of that works or you don't feel comfortable doing it then probably best to get it in for repair.

• jlan421

Ok, thanks for the advice, will probably try to install win7 on another hdd then flash the bios that way and put pack the original hdd and see if windows 8 boots up.

• MartinF

Okay good luck! May be worth trying F2 for the BIOS on a USB Keyboard first just in case it is  simple keyboard issue.

• jlan421

Seems to be working after re-flashing the BIOS, now trying to do Windows 8 factory default restore from backup usb.

• AlvinLasut
    AlvinLasut Member Posts: 4 New User
    GUYS!! i need help. I had Acer Aspire v5-471PG, and i got the OS not found problem too, but i cant go to BIOS. And i already pressed all what people said to get in BIOS.
    I got the problem because i changed UEFI to Legacy BIOS. Pls guys, Help me.
  • AlvinLasut
    AlvinLasut Member Posts: 4 New User
    People said press f2, f10, and it wont work. By the way, what i said "all what people said" it not all people, hehe.
  • aorgazf
    aorgazf Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi Jlan421,

I´m stuck in the same situation, could you please let us know how did you manage to reflash the BIOS.

Thanks

• aorgazf
    aorgazf Member Posts: 3 New User

HI!!!

I managed to do the flashing of the BIOS, here is how I did it:

On a separate computer:

I downloaded the latest bios upgrade from Acer Support Download Center. The zip file contained an executable which I couldn´t run directly from the Symantec System Recovery Disk

Using winrar I extracted the contents to a pen drive

I also downloaded Symantec System Recovery Disk 2013 (SSRD) trial image (you need to register to be able to download it) and burn it into a CD

With my laptop I then boot into the SSRD (before switching to legacy mode I had set the DVD unit as the first option)

Then within Analyze tab you can open a command prompt and run the bios upgrade files (in this case one named launch.bat)

It then flashed the Bios and when finished it restarted to EFI!!!Smiley Very Happy

• zyxnull
    zyxnull Member Posts: 1 New User

Hey aorgazf PLEASE PLEASE Tell me how can we buy you a beer or repay what you have done for us today with this instructions, my and my partner are in middle of nowhere, it is 00:02am and this "Feature" from Acer **bleep**ed up our boss computer, it's because of you thank we can breath once again, thank you thank you, there are no words that can describe how greatful we are from your help

[inappropriate content removed]

• apg
    apg Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi

I have the same issue.

I had to change the BIOS from EUFI to legacy BIOS .

Now I have tryied to change it back to EUFI not working I can see F2 at boot up and as soon as I press the ON switch i been pressing F2 constantly with out any luck to get to BIOS

Does any one have another option?

The laptop is

Aspire V5-571PG

Thanks in advance

PS// I have pressed hard F2 key as soon as I turn on

• apg
    apg Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi

I have the same issue with Acer Aspire V5-571PG

there was no issue in changing BIOS from EUFI to legacy. However, Now I can not access BIOS Smiley Sad

I have tried so many diffrent times pressing F2 strate after pressing ON switch that is not funny.

As per your instruction I have download and Burn CD for Symantec System Recovery 2013 SP2

Add BIOS_Acer_2.09_Windows run VA410209.exe

The Error " The Subsystem neede to support the image "

Please let me know what and where you download the BIOS for above laptop?

Thanks in Advance

AG

• mamat20131
    mamat20131 Member Posts: 3 New User

http://1drv.ms/1fLfYrG maybe this will help you apg Smiley Happy or put the bios installer in a folder and use WinRAR to extract the installer in the right-click menu

• Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member Posts: 1,181 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hello everyone,

While our members are generally eager to provide useful information, be advised that Acer does not validate third party external links for downloads and is not responsible for them.

Acquiring files through such links is at the user’s own risk.

Thanks!

• Duddy03
    Duddy03 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi  I'm new to the forum.  Last night I changed my BIOS from EUFI to Legacy BIOS (not knowing the impact).  The F2 doesn't work.  And I can't find any BIOS firmware files for my Aspire V5-471P on the Acer Support Page.  Is there another Acer Support Download Center somewhere else?

• Duddy03
    Duddy03 Member Posts: 2 New User

Phil

I messed up last night by changing the EUFI from Legacy BIOS not knowing the impact. As you know, the F2 will not bring up the BIOS screen.  The OS (Win 8.1 64-bit) is not found.  From what I read, I will need to flash the BIOS with the original or the most current firmware file copy.  But I can't find a BIOS file for my Aspire V5-471P on the Acer support page.  Can you step me through the process?  Many thanks.  (I'm not a hacker or PC experimenter but taught PC courses a few years ago at a local college.)

• creater0822
    creater0822 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same issue with a V5-571PG and looking for a BIOS.

What I've found are these 3 (you can see them in the picture below), now my question is: which one should I pick?

BIOS.JPG