How to I get the battery charge indicator to work after installing a new battery?

Jbauer
Jbauer Member Posts: 5 New User

I have an Aspire 6530 running Vista Home Premium OS. I recently replaced the battery but now the power management applet doesn't show battery level and the indicator shows 0% remaining when I unplug the power supply even though the battery is fully charged. Is there a remedy?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer

Power down. Replace the new battery with the old battery. Power up with the power supply plugged in. What happens now to the battery indicator?

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Jbauer

Following your instructions, the battery status in the mobility center says 63% and charging, the indicator in the status bar shows the percentage, plugged in and charging.

• Jbauer
  • JackE

Does this result suggest anything to you about the new battery?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

It is on the rong side of the bathtub curve.

• JackE

>>>It is on the [w]rong side of the bathtub curve.>>>

Bingo! 8^)

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jbauer

Even though the old battery shows a charge and time remaining shows as 20+minutes, the computer will shut down. The trouble with the new battery is that I have no way of knowing what the level of charge remaining is. 

• Jbauer

What is the resolution to being on the <<<wrong side of the bathtub curve>>>?

• JackE

Both the old & new batteries have built-in control circuits that are ***supposed to properly communicate*** the battery's charge level to the operating system's indicator app and the laptop's charging circuits. Your old battery's built-in circuitry still seems to be partly functional. The circuitry in your new battery does NOT. Accordingly, I'd return the new battery to the vendor for a replacement.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ