How do you get an Aspire E 15 to function even remotely like a computer.

Options
Don1
Don1 Member Posts: 9 New User

This thing has been a load of ***** since it came out of the box. A total waste of plastic. 

Answers

• sathya0403
    sathya0403 ACE Posts: 586 Pioneer
    Options
    Hi Don1,

Sorry that you have some issues with the unit, could you please let us know the Issue that you have?
  • Don1
    Options

Mouse pad works when it feels like it, or will go where it wants on screen. Screen freezes for no apparent reason, and randomly. IE stops working whenever. Arrow keys work when they are in the mood. This has been going on since it came out of the box. Needless to say I am NOT impressed.

• Don1
    Options

Apparently Acer thinks this is normal.

• HeyRoxie
    HeyRoxie Member Posts: 27 New User
    Options

Hi Don

sorry you are having issues.. the touch pad can be adjusted .. the freezing  and delays  could be a few things..

the items that are preloaded .. you can remove by going to your control panel and under programs remove them..

also not knowing what type of connection you are using.. there could be a few things in that area that will cause a delay.. along with what all is running in the back ground.. please check to see if any of your programs are set to update automatically.. if you receive a large update.. it will cause a delay...

not know how long you have had this device.. or your security system.. you may want to run a scan to make sure you do not have malware on your system..

I hope this helps..

• Don1
    Options

It has been a piece of ***** since it came out of the box. Security is up to date, and running. So I guess this is considered "normal" for an Acer. I know one company that wont be supplying computers to the company.

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Options

I would ask your company IT personnel to have a look at it and attempt to set it up for you.

If they believe a problem exists they will probably have the procurement people send it back to the supplier for credit or replacement.

Obviously this is not ideal but they will want any issue solved while still under guarantee.

• Don1
    Options

The company didn't buy it. Nor will they be buying any Acer products.

• smitty123
    smitty123 Member Posts: 35 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

hi don1,

i think i know where the problem is, the cpu in your laptop is a Pentium.

i have practically the same laptop but a Core i5 in mine, so i understand slow and tempermental. but i think you may have several issues that could be fixed in a few ways.

1st understand that a pentium cpu is not a very powerful CPU, its slow compared to more expensive machines. looking on bestbuy its only 400$ , thats a rather entry level machine imho. i've been working in computers for 25 years, i know my stuff.

ok so all these bugs you seem to have could be just the slow cpu trying to react but is not fast enough. 

here's what i suggest: do a factory reset for windows 8.1, this will wipe all your data, documents and pictures, so first transfer them to a usb key before doing so.

second, open the charms menu, and type factory reset then follow the instructions.

what this will do is reinstall windows and its drivers, you may then test the machine. who knows if the box was opened before you bought it, these days stores just rebox the computers without even looking at it. it may be refurbished and no one bothered to reset it when they brought it back.

So do a factory reset, and see if it still acts the same way.

Also know that you can plug a wired mouse in a usb port to make your usage easier.

On the right side is a pair of usb 2.0 ports and on the left a usb 3.0, save this one for file transfers to a flash drive its faster.

Then if things don't improve, you may have to realise that you may be expecting too much from a 400$ laptop, the hardware is not expensive so you may have to allow for these low cost flaws.

Remember this is a 400$ laptop, not a 1200$ machine.

Acer makes higher end products but you have to go with your budget of course, and the lower you go, the more allowances you'll have to make for it.

that said, everyone is entitled to a working computer when they pay for it.

if you feel this isn't what you paid for then i respectfully suggest you use the warranty or sell it on ebay and buy something more powerful than a pentium.

Try a core-i7, trust me you'll feel the difference.

• Don1
    Options

I told him exactly what I needed the computer for, so there is no excuse.  I was, and still am willing to pay whatever for a good computer.  So I will will try your suggestions, and if they don't work I guess I have a spiffy doorstop.