How do you access BIOS password on AspireOne netbook?

Options
Mario777
Mario777 Member Posts: 12 New User

I have a Aspire One netbook that I purchased in 2009. I would like to upgrade the O/S but I need to get into the BIOS. Howvever when I attempt to go to set-up page in BIOS I need a password which I don't have. Any ideas?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options

Which AO model do you have?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mario777
    Options

I have AOD 250 model

• JackE
    Options

Which operating system do you have now? Which operating system would you like to upgrade to?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mario777
    Options

Presently Windows XP. I would like to boot from USB in order to install software that would allow convert my netbook into a "chromebook" possibly with dual boot option.

• JackE
    Options

Plug in a bootable USB drive while your machine is off. Then re=start while tapping the F12 key. A boot option menu should appear allowing you to boot from the USB drive. Report back.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mario777
    Options

Sorry, tried your instructons but didn't work. Netbook booted usual way.

• JackE
    Options

From what vendor did you originally purchase your netbook?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Mario777
    Options

Purchased from Target online. Had it delivered at friend's house during my stay in USA.

• JackE
    Options

Access to the bios menu probably would NOT have been password-restricted if purchased directly from Target. Is it possible the vendor was NOT Target but simply using its online portal similar to the Amazon, Walmart and Sears portals? Do you have the original receipt? This may show the actual vendor who may have set a bios password.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Mario777
    Options

I doubt it but I will try to see if I can find it.

• JackE
    Options

If you can't find out who may have set a bios password, the most reliable and safest methods for re-setting it to default are to either short out a pair of bios reset pins inside the memory module compartment or removing the bios button cell battery from the mainboard itself to discharge the bios.

I suggest you first pop the cover on the memory module compartment to see if these bios re-set pins are available on your system. They should be located around the periphery of the memory module so you shouldn't have to remove the module to access them. If you see the pins, simply short them out with a screwdriver or jumper which is sometimes provided in the compartment. Report back.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mario777
    Options

Checked memory compartment but did not see bios reset pins.

• JackE
    Options

Two more relatively easy things to try before resorting to more drastic measures.

Plug in your bootable USB drive with the machine turned off. Press and hold the Fn + Esc keys. While holding these two keys, press the power button. Keep holding the Fn+Esc keys to see if it will then boot from the bootable USB.

If it still boots normally, then power down. Remove the charger and battery. Then press and hold the power button for five minutes to try to discharge the bios cmos battery. Then re-insert the battery and charger. And then try to enter the bios again. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mario777
    Options

The screen went blank for about 5 min accompanied by a loud beeeping noise. Then windows booted in usual way.

• JackE
    Options

OK. Now power down. Remove the charger and battery. Then press and hold the power button for five minutes to try to discharge the bios cmos battery. Then re-insert the battery and charger and power up. And then try to enter the bios again with the F2 key.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mario777
    Options

Followed your instructions. BIOS still asking for password.

• JackE
    Options

OK. Please open the memory module cover again. Instead of bios re-set pins, check to see if there are 2 side-by-side solder bumps anywhere around the board holding the memory modules. Report back before taking any next steps.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mario777
    Options

Yes I see them.

• JackE
    Options

OK. Remove the charger & battery again. Bridge the 2 solder bumps with a small screwdriver or piece of wire for a few seconds. Then power up to see if the bios password has been cleared. Report back.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Mario777
    Options

Tried it. BIOS still asking for password.