How can I speed up my Acer Aspire V5-122P?

Options
snicholls8
snicholls8 Member Posts: 4 New User

I have a few issues with the speed of my machine.

To open programs or load webpages it can seem slow.

If I stream music, I cannot browse the web at the same time otherwise the music stutters and lags.

It can take a long while for text to appear on the screen when I am typing, particularly if this is online.

It can seem unresponsive when I click the mouse or touch the screen to move into a search bar or close a window, for example.

Videos, such as in Youtube, cannot be played full screen as it lags severely and sometimes stops completely.

I have had the machine for just over a year, always had these problems. Want to get it sorted before I start studying again.

What can I do to speed it up?

I have had a look at defragging it as previous computers I have had have responded well to that but it appears that this one does it itself automatically.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Sarah

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,592 Trailblazer
    Options

When you're system seems particularly slow, press ctrl-alt-del and select task mgr from menu. Select performance tab. How much physical memory is being used of the total memory listed?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• snicholls8
    Options

Hi Jack, thanks for your reply. It is currently using 65%

• JackE
    Options

Are you streaming music & playing videos when it's at 65%?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• snicholls8
    Options

Thanks again foryour reply.

I'm not streaming any music or playing any videos. At the moment I've got 5 web pages open and have Word running and it is at 74%.

This isn't it's slowest, sorry I know you send to send the usage at it's slowest, but it is definitely functioning slowly even now

• snicholls8
    Options

I just tried to open spotify so I could stream music and see where usage was at then. The machine stopped responding to mouse controls, Ctrl, alt, del and the windows button. I turned it off and on again at the main power button.

When I turned back on I had a look and CPU was running at 99% usage, went down to 55% and back up to 94%. CPU usage is now at 99%. It took a minute for me to be able to start typing this after clicking into the box, slow to respond. Memory usage at 3.4 of 4gb.

Please help! I'm starting a course and need to have this in a working condition :-/

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly

• JackE
    Options

There are physical limits to the number of applications and iexplorer instances that can be run at the same time before you start running into memory as well as CPU problems. It's not unusual for CPU usage to be at or near 100% particularly the first few minutes after startup when the newer operating systems are loading all the bells & whistles they have these days. I suggest for the time being that you try to keep memory usage at near 50% levels by reducing the number of applications and streaming you're trying to run at the same time. If this is unacceptable, then you should consider upgrading memory to 8GB or 16GB.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ