How can I set my Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 settings back to factory default?

vickis
vickis Member Posts: 5 New User

I have an Acer Aspire R 13 and poor internet access due to both the location of the house and our location within the house.  I made the mistake of following a few 'helpful' online articles to improve my laptop's connection reliability and speed, but it's worse now than it was.  It's interesting that I got better internet access on my old Acer laptop, but that's another story.  Anyway, I didn't record my original wireless settings before I started making changes and I would now like to go back to default settings and take a more disciplined approach to testing changes, but I can't find a 'set to default' option.  Can anyone suggest where I might find one (without setting the whole laptop back to factory settings), or can someone please tell me what the settings are on their R 13?  It's an R7-371T-76HR.

Many thanks

Vicki

Best Answer

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

The easiest way to get you wireless settings back to default is to uninstall/delete the wireless driver from your computer...

1. First, download your wireless driver here:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

2.  Go to device manager and find your wireless

3.  uninstall the driver (delete the driver)

deldriver.JPG

4. After the driver uninstalls, restart your computer.

5.  Install the driver that you downloaded in step 1.

Edit: "forgetting the network" might be the easiest thing to do, but without knowing all of the settings that you changed, it might be better to delete the driver.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Shinichy_Kudo
    Shinichy_Kudo Member Posts: 355 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Vicky good morning.

In this case for new account setup your wireless network adapter, I recommend you uninstall and install the wireless network again.

To do this you can take the following steps if you have Windows 8 or 8.1.

1. Press the Windows key and the "X" key, then press the M key
    2. We the Device Manager window appears.
    3. Find where it says Network Adapters, despliga the information is listed there.
    4. Search Wireless network adapter of your product and you right-click uninstall.
    5. You will see a message that says: Do you want to uninstall? Clicking OK, do not check other options.
    6. Once you have uninstalled the adapter on the top bar appears like an option that says actions, you click there and select the option Scan for hardware changes.
    7. The system automatically searches for the network and native driver by default you configure the adapter the network.

These steps must be newly configured your network adapter by default.

I hope you find it useful information. Have a nice day. Greetings! Smiley Very Happy

• JordanB
    Answer ✓

You can also try the Intel Driver update utility on Intel's support site which should install the latest driver.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/wireless/db-ac7265

• vickis
    vickis Member Posts: 5 New User

Thank you both very much!

I ended up using the Intel Driver Update Utility. Interestingly, Device Manager told me I had the latest version of the driver, but the Intel utility found a version about a year newer. That makes me wonder how many other upgrades I'm (we're!) missing out on.

Anyway, this problem is solved..... my internet access is just as useless, but at least now I know I have the latest driver and I'm starting with the default settings.

Many thanks!

• JordanB
    Ok great. But you still first have to do either the driver uninstall or the driver uninstall/delete to get things back to default. And then use the Intel Driver Update Utilty. I always do the uninstall/delete because I worry about low level settings persisting. But it would probably be fine if you didn't check the "delete box" when uninstalling the driver.

It's always a good idea to go in to Acer recovery management and make a factory default USB backup as well as driver/app backup to keep on DVD/USB.

You can also try updating your wireless router firmware (and resetting it to default after the update) if you're comfortable doing something like that. If your wireless router is provided by your ISP, then you'll probably have to wait for them to push new firmware.