How can I back up Acer Aspire one 532h to an external hard drive?

Options
Birdy_
Birdy_ Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello Acers Smiley Happy

Question: How can I back up my Acer Aspire one 532h-2630 to an external hard drive or to another computer?

It has Windows 7 starter which does not seem to allow me to do it.

My brother gave me his old external hard drive, it's a Maxtor Shared Storage Drive capacity is 300GB.

I love my Acer but want to back it up and restore it to factory settings. I've been using it for over 2 years so it's full of stuff by now and I'd like to start fresh.

Many thanks for any solutions you can offer me.

I'm am not a techie Smiley Very Happy

Answers

• geofc
    geofc Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

For a non-techie the best answer is to entrust your problem to a techie. Is your brother higher on the techie ladder than you? If he is then pass this suggestion on to him as it may contain ways of doing things that he'll understand better.

Let's go. Do you or your brother or someone helpful and reliable run a network? If you/he/they do then

1) link your Aspire into the network

2) make your hard drive sharable (basically go to Computer, right click your C: drive and go do what it tells you in Sharing). 3) connect up your external hard drive to the third party computer also on the network, not to your Aspire -- and

4) back up your network C: drive.

This may or may not work and you may need to doctor your C: drive to change it from read-only. You can find this by right clicking it (the network C: drive) and selecting Properties.

I can't guarantee that this will work for you but you will have an exciting few minutes trying it out.

Best of luck

• Birdy_
    Birdy_ Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi geofc, Thank you so much for this info and for answering so quickly! I was waiting for an email alert but came in and found your reply. I think I can attempt this myself with your great instructions. I'll come back and let you know how it goes. I'm getting the new desktop ready first, so it may be a few days before I can get to it. Happy dance Smiley Happy I was looking forever on line and finally decided to come here so I'm happy to hear it's possible!