Help with Gateway NE71B, cannot update BIOS, some BIOS settings don't save after changed

GiSWiG
GiSWiG Member Posts: 2 New User

I guess I'm in the right spot, Gateway's support lead me here seeing that Acer owns Gateway.

I have a Gateway NE71B a friend gave me and it has Windows 8 installed. I had to do some repair to it after a drink was spilled into it but I cleaned it out and its been fine, sorta...

Resuming from sleep doesn't work. It is just black. I have to shutit down and that works fine. It appears that a BIOS upgrade is needed and I downloaded the latest BIOS and tried to update it. It uses some 'InsideH2O' update app. Well it goes to reboot and when it tries to apply the BIOS, it keeps saying that it is an invalid firmware image. I've verifiedd that this is the correct BIOS file. I tried other BIOS versions and none will apply, always getting the error. I've researched the utility, extracted the config and BIOS. I'm tempted to tell it to write without verify (its that fustrating).

One option, that seems to saved most people is to disable Secure Boot. No matter what, I cannot do this. It never saves. I followed the official steps of powering off, then power on, set the admin password, disable Secure Boot, save and exit. Secure Boot always stays enabled. I've tried probably 30 times, 10 different ways and it just won't stick. I also noticed that I cannot change other settings in the BIOS. I can set some to a different value but they always revert back. I cannot get the function keys setting to stay on Function Keys. It always defaults back to Special Keys after reboot. Same thing goes with enabling F12 for boot menu. 

I've tried removing the coin battery, which has a charge, shorting out the contacts holding it for about a minute, removed power battery and power cable, letting it sit but still no good. I've also tried removing the hard drive. Where is the BIOS data being stored and can it be wiped?

I've been considering getting an Acer laptop but this is starting to steer me away. Definately not getting a Gateway.

HELP PLEASE!

Answers

• GiSWiG
    GiSWiG Member Posts: 2 New User

Yes. That is one of the guides I looked at bu there is a step missing. You need to set the supervisor password before the Enable/Disable setting for Secure Boot is available. It still does not work. Gateway's site says to do that procedure after powering down, turning it on and going straight into the BIOS but that didn't work either.

Thanks

• kiczke
    kiczke Member Posts: 1 New User

hi there... have you solved your problem with NE71B? got the same story Smiley Sad