Help needed with geforce 840m

Options
BoskiOski
BoskiOski Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi, 2 days ago i bought an acer aspire e 15 e5-572g-58eg it comes with i5-4210m 2.6ghz and nvidia geforce 840m.

The geforce is the source of my problem. But from the begining, i bought the laptop without an operating system becouse i already owned windows 7 home premium 64 bit, after an initial struggle i managed to install it.

Then i started to install all the drivers, but after installing(without any errors) the newest driver for this video card from nividia website many bad things started to occur.

The first symptom was the fact that the only available option in nividia control panel was the 3d option. After the first attempt to start a game i was greeted by a bluescreen with an nvlddmkm error.

The popular solution to this problem involves swaping the system file that was supposedly not updated, but since this was the first instalation of the driver on this computer it obviously did not work.

As far as i can tell acer only provides drivers for windows 8.1 so i was stuck with nividia site. After trying numerous drivers the laptop started to simply freeze after each restart.

When i disabled the 840m in recovery mode everything returned to normal but suffice to say i'm quite iritated i had to save a lot of money to buy this laptop and i can't even properly use it.

The only solution that comes to my mind would be to install windows 8/8.1 that i don't own. Has anyone ever faced such an situation? Any help or tips would be most appreciated. 

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Acer didn't design this laptop for Windows 7 so, you won't get any support from them. Did you try the 8.1 driver from Acer? Try Acer drivers for other models, V3-572G, V5-572G, etc. You can also sign up with Technet and download a 90 day eval of 8.1.

My V3 didn't support Windows 7 and I had to keep looking until I found drivers that would work.