Having trouble upgrade RAM memory from 4 to 8 GB in Aspire 5742 laptop core i3!!!

Nerd168
Nerd168 Member Posts: 2 New User

I am trying to upgrade my Aspire 5742 Core i3 RAM memory from 4 GB to 8 GB (2 slot) from 2 x2 GB to 2 x 4 GB. The operating system I am using is Window 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  

The display keeps coming up with a blue screen after safe mode is used and a message starts with "...a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down ...".

My technician looked at the bios and it reads 8 GB in total but we just can't start Windows operating system.  One suggestion is to change the HD from HDD to SSD so the RAM can continue to be 4 GB but the hard drive speed would improve.  Another suggestion is to wipe the entire HDD and reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium operating system but all the applications and data will be lost.

Anyone has similar situation and how to overcome it?  My preference is to be able to upgrade to 8 GB RAM with all applications and data untouched.

Thanks.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

The recommended memory when it was Mfg is DDR3 1333. What are you using?

• thurgood
    thurgood Member Posts: 53 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Repeating the same as the previous post, check and see if the RAM is PC3 1333Mhz. On the other hand, try cleaning (with a pencil eraser) the contact points and reseating the modules. If you can get to the BIOS, there is a built in mem test. If not, use third party mem test software on a cd. Hopefully you can boot to the cd. Are you sure that the modules are good? are they new, used?

I personally upgraded my aspire 5742 from 2x2gb to 2x4gb just like you did with an I3 cpu and everything worked fine. 

I don't think that there is any need to format the hd, that is not the problem

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,050 Trailblazer

Hi Nerd168,

For information, here are the original memory modules of 4Gb:

Spoiler
    KN.4GB03.005SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1333 (Nanya)
    KN.4GB09.001SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1333 (Elpida)
    KN.4GB0B.007SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1066 (Samsung)
    KN.4GB0B.010SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1333 (Samsung)
    France
  • Nerd168
    Nerd168 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi the BIOS read 8 GB RAM (2 x 4 GB) but Windows 7 did not turn on.  When I tried to reboot the systems in Windows 7 Home Preimum 64 Bit, it turned out a blue screen and need repair.  Repair did not go past the blue screen.  I will check the RAM to see if they are PC3 1333 Mhz as I have returned the RAM to the store.  Used my old 2 x 2 GB and it works in Windows.

• leemur
    leemur Member Posts: 3 New User

I am attempting to upgrade Aspire 5742-7120 RAM from 4GB memory to 8GB.  I upgraded to Windows 10 some months ago.  No problems.  I upgraded BIOS to ver 1.3 11/13/2012.

New RAM: PNY Electronics PC3-12800 DDR3 204 PIN CL 11 1.5V (compatible with 1600MHz, 1333MHz, 1066MHz)

If I simply install the 2x4GB cards and attempt to boot, I get BSOD with error message of KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE.  After many permutations of using combinations 1x2GB & 1X4GB in different slots, I get same error message on attempts to reboot.

I reinstalled the 2x2GB cards, booted, then went to msconfig --->Boot--->advanced options, checked box for max memory and entered 8192 (oddly, when I clicked OK, I saw number return to 4096).  I then shutdown, reinstalled the 2x4GB cards.  The machine booted.  However, when I looked at resource monitor I saw:

Installed Total Memory      8192 MB

Total Physical Memory       2358 MB

Available Physical Memory   704 MB

Cached                                800 MB

HARDWARE Reserved memory 5.834 GB

Not good.  I went back to msconfig, boot, advanced options, unchecked the max memory box.  Saved and restarted the computer.  BSOD KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE.

In short, I can only boot with 2x4GB cards if the max memory box is checked.  However, 5.834 GB of memory is hardware reserved (checking BIOS, its not a graphics card issue).

Any help?

• Hi leemur,

1. What's the PNY part number?
    2. Do you know the CAS Write Latency(CWL)?
      Sometimes they tell 1066, 1333 and 1600MHz for CAS latency but CWL is always 1600MHz.
      In this case, Bios/Windows can't write in the memory at 1600 instead of 1066MHz.
    France
  • philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

The laptop calls for 1.35v memory. You have 1.5v. It may be your problem. 

• leemur

1) PNY Part Number MN4GSD31600-Z

2) Where would I find the CWL?

btw, I have also run windows 10 memory test.  It found no problems.

• leemur,

This PNY part number is not listed as compatible memory module. The right one is MN4GSD31333.

Hi philetus,

All original memory modules are DDR3 1066 or 1333MHz so 1.5V.

France
  • leemur

laurent_14,

Thanks.  I will return and get correct part number.

Just for my curiosity, if it's the wrong part, why does the machine boot at all?  Thanks again.

leemur

• leemur,

Just for my curiosity, if it's the wrong part, why does the machine boot at all?

Honestly I don't know. Probably due to the programmable CAS latency. As I can see, they only give CL11 and nothing else. Their document are not detailed.Smiley Frustrated

France
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Crucial guarantees their memory to be compatible.  Even though it says 1.35V, their DDR3L is supposed to work at either 1.35V or 1.5V.,,,,,i.e. dual voltage.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-5742

If in doubt, run the Crucial system scanner.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner

http://www.crucial.com/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

The RAM expansion in my R3 was rated for either. (This is a dual voltage piece and can operate at 1.35V or 1.5V )

Probably not the right one for your machine but  dual voltage memory does exist.