Hard Disk replacement for Acer 5830TG TimelineX

Options
samdash
samdash Member Posts: 7 New User

Hello 

My hard disk seems to be in problem as the intel storage rapid system was giving me a warning and its seems to be true as its not booting any more . I am planning to replace the hard disk with SSD . I got an upgrade option from crucial after entering the laptop details . Would like to know if any one has installed new SSD hard disk from crucial or any other vendor ? 2 concerns what I have is as below 

1. My old hard disk Seagate Momentus 5400.6 (as provided by Acer while purchasing) is having a SATA 3Gb/s interface where as crucial (thats compatible as per crucial website) shows a SSD (Crucial BX200 240GB SATA 2.5") of interface 6 Gb/s . So is this difference fine in terms of my laptop motherboard handling the transfer rate ? 

2. The interface cable orginally present, will it be compatible with the crucial SSD ? 

Any help or suggestion would be really helpful for me to decide to go for this SSD or not . 

Thanks in advance !

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,605 Trailblazer
    Options

Your motherboard should be equipped with a SATA3 interface with a hard drive capable of *up to* 6gb/sec transfer rate. You're old hard drive was only capable of up to 3gb/s transfer rate. The new one should be capable of up to 6gb/s on your system.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• samdash
    samdash Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

Thanks Jack 

The interface cable present in my laptop is having the model/name  as p4lj0 . Can you let me know if this SATA3 ? If so , then I can plan to try out the SSD . 

Regards
    Sambit . 

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,605 Trailblazer
    Options

That should be compatible.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ