HDMI ports stops working after windows updates

feint2021
feint2021 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire V3-572g. My laptop came with windows 8.1 installed already. Currently, my pc is being reset to factory settings because I can not figure out how to keep the hdmi from going out after windows updates. The only way I can keep get the hdmi port to work is the factory reset it. The only way from keeping the hdmi working is by turning off windows updater. However, I'd like to figure out how to keep the hdmi working without doing so. My graphics card is Nvidia 840 M. Here are a list of things I've done after my laptop stops recognizings the hdmi.

• Uninstall and reinstall the display drivers, both from intel and Nvidia
  • Update the drivers to be up to date
  • Downloaded intel's utility manager to keep driver update to date
  • Downloaded factory installed drivers from Acer's website
  • Contacting microsoft and have them remotely connect to my laptop
  • Restored back my laptop to previous working conditions (although the hdmi never worked by going to a restore point)
  • Swapped hdmi cords and displays

After several hours of researching and trying different things I'm stumped. I bought this computer with the sole purpose of connecting it to a TV. I've also had this issue with another laptop which I returned. This problem isn't a hardware problem as I'm connected to the same monitor with an old desktop using the same cords. I'm guessing there is a compatability issue with windows and the display drivers when there is an update. I'm also considering downgrading to windows 7 as this version of windows has just been a headache from the beginning. However, this would create more work and I'd like to be able to solve the issue. If you guys could provide a solution, it would be most appreciated.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • feint2021
    feint2021 Member Posts: 2 New User

I did that but yesterday when I went to play a game, windows ask to install an update driver (I don't know which) and then the comp became very laggy and the hdmi port stopped working. When I went to reboot, the port wasn't working and the comp became very laggy. I restored the comp to an earlier date which solved the lag issue but not the hdmi issue.

I'd really like to find an actual solution as working around it has shown hasn't addressed the problem. Simply turning off windows update is only a partial solution.

I know I'm not the only one with this issue (there are countless people reporting the issue) so could anyone shed some light? I have yet to find an Acer specific fix for this.