Function Keys and ESC doesn't work?

Raidy
Raidy Member Posts: 5 New User

As for a few days ago, i was playing csgo ( a online game ) and after some few hours i came back and then i tried to click ESC as it seems it didn't work. NB : I have not spilled anything on my pc whatsoever. So i tried to go on another game which wasn't csgo and then tried using hte function keys, but only f1 and f11 was working. When i went to my browser it seems it didn't work either. 

My computer is a Acer Aspire V5 - 531

Thanks.

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi Raidy

Try using System Restore, back to when it was working ok.  If this doesn't work, go to Device Manager & locate your keyboard. Right click & select uninstall. Restart, now hopefully things will work!

If you need to use a keyboard, try connecting a USB one.

• Raidy

I tried both but it didn't work. I Tried the USB keyboard but the function keys didn't work and still didn't the ESC either.

• finlux

That is strange, a USB keyboard should work regardless of the laptops keyboard!

Playing an online game is not likely to cause any issues with your keyboard. It sounds as if it is purely coincidental. The other options available to you are:

1. Backup everything & reinstall Windows to see if that solves the problem

2. Taking it in for repair to a local repair shop. It may be a motherboard issue...

• Raidy

The USB keyboard it works, ESC works and f1 and f11 works. But now f2 f3 and the others dont work.

Is there like a function lock on that i could've done with an accident?

• finlux

No, I'm not aware of any lock that could cause that.

Either Windows is corrupted (if so, a reinstall will work), or the mobo is failing....

• Raidy

I have no clue on to do a windows reinstallation. But it seems really strange how only my F1 and F11 works. but not any of the others

• finlux

When Windows becomes corrupt (formally known as Windows Rot! Smiley LOL ) lots of odd things can happen - although Microsoft deny of such a thing!

As for reinstalling, firstly make sure all your files (documents, videos, Music etc) are backed up as well as programs you've installed (Eg Office, WLM etc), then restart your laptop. As soon as you see the Acer splash screen press ALT+F10. This will start the recovery process. Just follow the on screen instructions.

Once done, all Windows updates will need to be installed, then all your programs & documents etc.

• Raidy

So i did a windows reinstallation and when i tried to test my function keys and esc, they still didn't work. .-.

• finlux

OK, then it sounds like you may have a mobo issue. I take it the USB keyboard still isn't 100% working?

See if your local PC store can help. Or treat yourself to a new laptop!

[edited to comply with guidelines]