From Linux, How do I upgrade the BIOS in my E5-471G

cnlohr
cnlohr Member Posts: 1 New User

My E5-471G has always had issues in BIOS, taking a while before letting me go onward, seems to be sped up by clicking keys on the keyboard.  Over the last several months, it's been taking longer and longer to get to the BIOS screen at all while turning the LCD on and off.  Since I have the original stock (factory) firmware for BIOS, I want to try upgrading.

Sadly, I don't even have a copy of Windows to use the upgrade software provided on Acer's site.  How can I upgrade to 1.21 or 1.24?  Is there a boot disk I can use?  Can I upgrade using a Linux tool? I understand it might not fix my problem but I figured it's worth a try.

Answers

• aferraro21
    aferraro21 Member Posts: 37 Die Hard WiFi Icon

You can try creating a boot drive to MS-Dos on a standard thumb/usb drive, copy the BIOS file to a folder in the thumb/usb drive, then running the .exe BIOS file through DOS.

Used to work for me on older machines all the time.  Otherwise if the .exe is only compatable with Windows, you will need to get the computer booted to Windows in order to perform the flash.