Ferrari ONE overheating

Options
priyp
priyp Member Posts: 7 New User
Please can anyone give some advice regards overheating of my Ferrari ONE netbook. It has been BRILLIANT for almost 5 years now but recently it gets hot EVERYTIME it is used. Underneath by the fan exit. Almost too hot to hold. It shuts down (like as if the plug has been pulled from it) in extreme circumstances ... most especially when using an external HDD for backup purposes or watching videos using VLC. I have loaded SPECCY. The CPU and motherboard temps above 80degC and I have loaded SPEEDFAN which show slightly lower temps but most annoyingly, shows no fan speeds at all. The fan is working, I can hear it and I can feel air coming out ... Albeit very hot air. Is it simply a case of needing a clean out ... or might it be more sinister? Any advice appreciated. Thankyou

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Have you blown out the air intake and exhaust sscreens with a can of air? Try to blow the air completely through the laptop. Ust the little tube to get past the fan.

After 5 yrs, I wouldn't be surprised if the thermal compound on the CPU/Gpu is not doing it's job anymore and needs to be redone. 

• hivonzooo
    hivonzooo Member Posts: 16 New User
    Options

You should clean your laptop and change thermal paste.

• priyp
    priyp Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options
    Thanks for replies. I am guessing that I need to dissemble the netbook to do both these? I see no way to get straw of air can through the grid of the intake and vent areas. I have replaced thermal paste before on desktop so my fear would be the dissembling of a netbook ... is it real tricky? Thanks. What might I expect to pay for a PC repair shop to do this? Thanks again for your advice
  • philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

When you get it apart, you can clean it.

A shop would want probably $200.00 minimum.