Faulty power adapter on Acer Aspire One D255E

Options
CatLady1
CatLady1 Member Posts: 12 New User

Last Saturday, I plugged my netbook's adapter into an outlet at the library, like I always do. However, in the course of using it, I noticed my battery indicator, when hovered over, said 95% available, not charging. Monday, I plugged it in, and it said 0%available, not charging. I came here to check the FAQs on support, and it suggested a power reset. I followed the directions, no change. It said that if I still have a problem, that it's a faulty adapter or my netbook needs service. I might point out that my netbook, and its battery, are 6 years old; though I never got a pop-up window saying that I needed to get a new battery, could that be the problem? Also, the battery indicator light is orange and blinking slowly, which according to Acer, means the battery is low.

One more thing: I also got a message for software installion, and a pop-up said "Microsoft Teredo Taunneling Adapter driver software installation failed." What the heck is this, and how can it be fixed?

Answers

• Forever
    Forever Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Options

Hey, from personal experience I have some answers for you Smiley Happy

1. Empty the battery until the laptop won't start, push the power button until the laptop won't have energy Smiley Happy After that plug the charger and let it on for 12 hours (don't start the laptop), after that empty the battery again until the laptop won't start and after that charge it again for 12 hours (don't start the laptop).

2. If the battery notification appear, uncheck it (The one that says you need to replace the battery)

3. Reinstall Windows again because Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter is a thing on the Network Adapters, I bet that you didn't used it or you don't know what it is, it may be some spyware or adware that installed that on your computer.

I hope this things help you, I've done the empty-charge thing in the past and it worked Smiley Happy

You clearly need to reinstall Windows because I bet you have some spywares or adwares that Anti-Virus can't identify Smiley Happy

Have a nice day and good luck Smiley Happy

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Options

Battery:
    Try cycling the battery as suggested. However, 6 years is a long time - your battery may well be simply worn out. Unfortunately, no notifications are produced as far as I know.

Teredo Tunneling:

Terado is simply a temporary 'fix' to allow non compliant hardware to gain access to IPv6 network addresses. Originally, IP addresses were standardised as IPv4. However, as the Internet grew, we quickly ran out of available addresses that IPv4 could provide. IPv6 was then implemented which allows a far greater IP address range. Unfortunately, IPv6 is not understood by our hardware so it became necessary to produce a 'translator' between IPv4 and IPv6 in software. Result, Teredo Tunneling was born! Teredo largely goes unnoticed by many but, in my opinion, you should have this in place and functioning.

Open a command prompt and type: ipconfig. All being well, you should see your IPv6 address. If you have issues:

Have a look in 'Device Manager' and see if you have any problems highlighted. If so, try and update the problem driver from there.
    If nothing appears wrong, click on 'View' and tick 'Show hidden devices'. Then expand 'Network adapters' and look there. Double click 'Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface' and try updating the driver.

It may also be worth resetting winsock. Open a command prompt (as administrator) and type:

netsh winsock reset

If you continue to have problems, you can always disable tunneling. Again, open a command prompt (as administrator) and type:

netsh interface teredo set state disabled

To re-enable tunneling, use:

netsh interface teredo set state default

In my opinion, re-installing Windows to correct the problem should not be necessary and in any event should be the absolute last resort.

Oh, and I have read that there is a known problem that Zone Alarm can cause this issue.

• CatLady1
    CatLady1 Member Posts: 12 New User
    Options

Spoke with a friend who's a manager at Fry's Electronics, and he says the drain-reboot cycle would only regain 35% of battery function. So he agrees it's time to replace the battery. I looked up Terendo Tunneling, and you're right on the definition, which I found on Yahoo Answers.  My antivirus is VIPRE Internet Security, and it's great. So far, it has let only one virus through--I have a lifetime subscription--and I made sure to notify ThreatNet about it, so I don't think I'll get anymore.

Thanks for your help!