FPS problems with ACER Aspire VN7-591G Black Edition

Cr1ms0nStraY
Cr1ms0nStraY Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello,

I have some FPS problems with the laptop mentioned in the subject (core i7-4710HQ, GTX860M, 8gb ram, FULL HD) in almost all of the games. It seems to me that the laptop is always using the integraded graphic card. I already tried to force the 860M in the nvidia options, reinstalled all of the drivers + the OS, but still the FPS is really bad. And I saw some testings and videos of the same laptop with a lot higher FPS than mine. For example - Diablo 3 on high settings - 15-30 FPS max, while I saw some other users have more than 70 FPS with the same laptop. I even tried to disable the integraded graphics from the BIOS, but there is no option to do that there. So my question is, is there a way to disable the integraded graphics, or to make the 860M the preffered GPU.

Answers

• Cr1ms0nStraY

Thanks for the fast answer but I already did most of the things mentioned and it didn't help. But I ran some tests, and it wasn't the problem in the video, but in the CPU. I downloaded software for cloaking the CPU, which even shows the frequency of the CPU. I noticed that the CPU frequency is consistent 798.15 MHz no matter what game/program is running. After the cloak, the games were running with high FPS. So... Is there some way to configure the CPU, so it can use its full potential whenever needed ? Of course, I can always use the program to cloak the CPU, but I prefer not to, because I don't know if it will be okey for the laptop to be cloaked every time I want to play a game.

Edit: I already adjust the power options, to maximum performance.

• Cr1ms0nStraY

OK. After some tests, and reading other posts with the same problem, I found out what is causing the low CPU frequency. It's something called BD PROCHOT, which is throttling the CPU making its multiplier consistent 8. So is there a way to fix it? Because I found application that disables it. But should I worry that it is disabled, and what is causing this BD PROCHOT to throttle the CPU?

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

"BD PROCHOT stands for bi-directional prochot. PROCHOT stands for processor hot which is the signal that is activated within the CPU when it reaches approximately 100C to 105C depending on the model number. This signal is what initiates thermal throttling so the CPU can slow down and keep from over heating. Intel included a bi-directional feature so if something else like a GPU is running too hot, it would be able to send a PROCHOT signal directly to the CPU and force it to cool down so the entire laptop cools down. Very few laptops seem to use this type of throttling. This feature was added for the Asus G51. Disabling this will allow your CPU to continue to run at full speed. Disabling this will not prevent your CPU from thermal throttling at its normal Intel set thermal throttle temperature. By default this is locked and you will need to go into the Options window to unlock it so you can toggle it on and off."

http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/23-throttlestop-guide.html

Sounds like you could burn up your laptop by disabling this.

• Cr1ms0nStraY

Yes, I figured that out. But even on idle, when temperatures are below 50C, it still runs this BD PROCHOT, and the CPU runs at the lowest frequency.