Error message on American Megatrends page.

Options
magicgraywolf
magicgraywolf Member Posts: 9 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I am not sure if this is the right group but I got good results from Iron Fly on getting my win 7 back. I did recover and install win 7 on my FX6860 Gateway.

However, I keep getting different results while setting up the programs I had before I crashed the harddrive. It boots very slowly, loading windows, and then going from the screen showing F12 for BIOS, and Del for boot menu. If I leave it, windows sign in will appear for log in or it will show the American Megatrends page.

If I hit F1 it will go to the log on page for windows. But I don't thnk it is working as it should when booting. Also while working in windows, the screen just goes black. And does not recover.

The main question I have is one time the America Megatrends will show that the everything is peachy clean. And other times it will show:

Port 0 Hitachi C drive is S.M.A.R.T supported

Port 1 WDC HDD S.M.A.R.T supported. But when opening the computer page. I don't show that harddrive being there.

Port 4 DVDRAM GH70N  Nothing more on that line.

Error: S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad, Backup and Replace.

Press <F1> Continue

Press <Del> Enter BIOS Setup.

I am confussed on this error. Is it reffering to a specific harddrive, or to the DVDRAM drive?

If its a harddrive, I would assume that its the C drive, that has windows on it. Either way, should I stop here before loading my data back onto the C drive? Or should I run some kind of test?

How do I know for sure if the C drive is failing?

How do I know if its the other harddrive, as it is not showing as installed. I am sure that I have to manually install it, but forgot how to do that.

How would I know if the DVDROM is the one that is failing and should be replaced?

How do I know if my BIOS is set correctly. As I have hit F7, F8, F9. or F10 I don't show that it did anything but exit BIOS with F10?

I know that I am being a pain, but I did not have any problems with figuring out how to fix things, until I got that first message that the a drive was failing. The screen was going black then. And until this moring, I seemed to be making things worse with everything I tried.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

SMART is HDD, the BIOS is telling you that an HDD has some problems or supposed to have problems.

First of all i would backup all your personal data then i would try to boot disconnecting one HDD at time and see when the SMART error arise.

you can also check SMART data and HDD integrity, creating a bootable USB or CD using Hiren's bootcd:

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/files/Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip

unzip and burn the .iso, then boot from USB or CD media, once booted choose HDD tools or DOS tools and start MHDD or ViVard.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • magicgraywolf
    magicgraywolf Member Posts: 9 New User
    Options

Thanks for the link. I tried to download it so I could put it on a USB drive. But my Anti Virus program keeps deleting it, saying it contanes a threat.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

the antivirus is totally wrong. Smiley Very Happy

I'm not an Acer employee.