Error 1117 i/o - cannot boot AS5732Z laptop

Options
pmg
pmg Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi,

My Aspire 5732z laptop will not boot. I have tried to run the recovery discs (created when purchased) but it tells me that the restore failed (after disc 2 of 3) and error message says error 1117 i/o error.

Is there anything else that I can try please?

It is running Windows 7.

I cannot seem to get it to go to F10 either.

Thanks for any help.

Best Answer

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

Any standard 2.5" drive will suffice. Replacing a hard drive is surprisingly easy! There are many guides on Youtube etc. If you're not sure, try a local PC repair shop - shouldn't be too expensive!

Or you could always treat yourself to a shiny new Acer Smiley LOL

Answers

• finlux
    Options

Hi pmg

I/O error 1117 usually means a failure to read/write to or from a device, like a HDD or the optical disk (in your case, your recovery disks). Check that the disk in question isn't scratched or dirty.

When you say F10 doesn't work, you mean Alt & F10 to access the recovery partition? If so, this could point to a hard drive failure. If you have a Windows 7 boot disk, you can use this to boot to command prompt & run a CHKDSK - this should hopefully advise if you have an HDD issue. If you don't have a boot disk, you can make one from a working Windows 7 machine.

If your HDD is OK, and your CD/DVD disks appear to be scratched/damaged then contact Acer uk support. They may be able to supply new recovery disks.

• pmg
    Options
    Thank you for your prompt reply. I will look and see if I have a Windows 7 disc - I have just upgraded my other pc to Windows 10.

Before trying restore and getting the error 1117, the laptop was going to the acer startup screen then immediately to

'There is an errot reading disk. Type Ctrl+Alt +Del to restart'

(This was with nothing else connected to the pc and no dvd in drive etc).

On trying Ctrl+Alt +Del , it either went through same process or sonetimes a longer message appeared about tge i/o error (something about error can occur when external drive not removed properly).

You are right about F10, I mean type Alt F10 (keeping Alt down and tapping F10 continuously). Nothing happened other than going back to Ctr+Alt +Del message.

The recovery discs that I created look clean to me - they have been stored carefully and covered.

Anyway will look for Windows 7 disc next.

Thank you for your help.

Much appreciated.

• finlux
    Options

Ah! You've confirmed to me that it IS your hard drive.

Replacing it will solve the problem. You can use your recovery disks to reinstall Windows 7 on to it.

Let us know how you get on!

• pmg
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help. I would have no idea how to replace a hard drive. I presume that I have to get a specific one. Might have to part company with this laptop but will look at all options first.
    Thank you again.
  • finlux
    Answer ✓
    Options

Any standard 2.5" drive will suffice. Replacing a hard drive is surprisingly easy! There are many guides on Youtube etc. If you're not sure, try a local PC repair shop - shouldn't be too expensive!

Or you could always treat yourself to a shiny new Acer Smiley LOL

• pmg
    Options
    Smiley Happy Thanks again!!
  • guddi123
    guddi123 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hei I have got a new hdd for my old acer 5732z, and there  was not a recovery discs included when the maskin was new. What can i do to get a windows 7 recovery discs. Guddi

• finlux
    Options

Hi guddi123

Recovery disks are no longer included with laptops. They all have a built in program that allows you to burn your own, as well has having a recovery partition.

Try Acer customer services in your region to see if they still have a copy of the recovery disks for your model, however there may be a chance that it is no longer available.

If Acer can't supply them, the only options you have is to try & buy a copy of Windows 7 either online, or at a local store.  However, availability of Windows 7 is becoming scarce as Microsoft are concentrating on Windows 10. If you cannot find a Windows 7 disk then you should consider installing Windows 10.

Drivers for your model are available form the Acer support site.