ES1-111M trackpad freezing

ianwuk
ianwuk Member Posts: 17

Tinkerer

Up until recently my laptop was working fine.  But now, for some reason, the trackpad just decides to randomly freeze.  Sometimes I can use my laptop for about a minute and then the cursor freezes and usually the only way to get it to be responsive again (Windows 8.1) is to press the Start key on the keyboard to go to the Start screen, press it again to go to the desktop and so on, cycling between the two and then I briefly gain control of the cursor again, I move it around, sometimes cannot click, it freezes, repeat cycling between the Start screen and desktop etc.

I don't really want to have to restore my device so what are my options to resolve this?  It is really annoying.  Plugging in a USB mouse works fine for the USB mouse, trackpad still keeps freezing intermittently.  Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers does nothing, changing the trackpad option in the BIOS does nothing - any ideas?

Many thanks.

Ian

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    A new BIOS version V 1.08 was released to resolve the touchpad issue.
    However since the latest version V 1.10 ia avaliable you may directly go ahead and update it

To check the BIOS version, press and hold the Window logo key and tap X on your keyboard, click Run and type msinfo32 in the Run box and hit the Enter key. In the System Information window, click System Summary and locate your current BIOS Version/Date to the right.

Here's the weblink to dowload and install BIOS update  Download BIOS

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.pngto say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    A new BIOS version V 1.08 was released to resolve the touchpad issue.
    However since the latest version V 1.10 ia avaliable you may directly go ahead and update it

To check the BIOS version, press and hold the Window logo key and tap X on your keyboard, click Run and type msinfo32 in the Run box and hit the Enter key. In the System Information window, click System Summary and locate your current BIOS Version/Date to the right.

Here's the weblink to dowload and install BIOS update  Download BIOS

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.pngto say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

• ianwuk
    ianwuk Member Posts: 17

Tinkerer

Thank you so much.  That BIOS update has resolved it and it works fine now.

• zlp
    zlp Member Posts: 4 New User

FYI: It's a hardware problem and some people have reported that the BIOS updated didn't fix it. In case yours starts to fail again, my story might be relevant...

My Acer ES1-111M touchpad was freezing constantly too. It was intermittent at best so the laptop was unusable. I sent it to Acer for warranty repair and they just re-installed Windows (and deleted my programs!) Their service is absolutely terrible!

I opened it up and fixed it myself. Now it works perfectly!

I show my steps here:

http://www.zachpoff.com/diy-resources/acer-laptop-touchpad-fix

• kiddo
    kiddo Member Posts: 11 New User

Still trying to solve this problem, my bios already is v1.10

What do I do next, is there another solution?

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

kiddo

Run msinfo32 and check input devices to see if your touchpad is Elantech or Synaptics and the driver version number. Then go here http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers and enter your system's snid to check if the installed drivers on your system are the latest. If not, download and install the newest.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• kiddo

Thanks Jack,

It is a Synaptic one. I downloaded the latest driver, unzipped it, ran setup, the setup wizard said it had installed. I clicked OK and restarted - but then checking the driver it shows as the old version still.

What did I do wrong?

• JackE

kiddo>>>What did I do wrong?>>>

Maybe nothing. Did you download the driver for Win10 or for Win8.1? Which Windows version do you have?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kiddo

Jack,

I downloaded the driver for 8.1 as I am still running that version

• JackE

OK, kiddo, good. What is the version/date of the downloaded driver that you tried to install vs. the driver that msinfo32.exe is now reporting?

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• kiddo

The one showing as installed is 6.3.9600.16384 date 22/08/13

The downloaded and recently installed one is, or should be, 18.1.2.1. This is supposedly the latest version according to Acer site.

• JackE

Next, try updating the synaptics driver thru device manager. Open device manager from control panel. Your touchpad should be listed under Human Interface Devices. If not, check mice and other poiniting devices. Right click on the touchpad device. Choose update driver from wherever you downloaded the newest driver zip or unzipped file on your machine. Report back on if device mgr recognized the new driver.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kiddo

Ah, that's interesting. Going through device manager its shows the latest version is installed, but going via msinfo it still shows the old driver.

Anyway, there has been no freeze during the time I have been messing around installing the driver - so I'll give it a few days, see what happens and post back here to let you know if the problem is solved.

Thanks for your help Jack.

• JackE

kiddo>>>msinfo it still shows the old driver>>>

Click the refresh button under view. See if that updates msinfo32. Thanks for keeping us informed!

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kiddo

Tried refreshing the "view" but it still shows the old driver. Strange!!

• JackE

>>>Strange!!>>>

With 8.1, maybe not so much. 8^) I think its sysinfo tool will eventually sync itself with device mgr. And the touchpad will remain unfrozen.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kiddo

Will post again in a few days to let you know if any more "freezes".

• kiddo

A few days have passed but it has had little use, this morning I tried to sort through a few emails and the pointer froze again. So the problem is still not resolved.

• JackE

First check to see if device manager and msinfo32.exe have sync'ed yet. Report back.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kiddo

Sorry it has taken so long to reply. Still the same as before, device manage shows driver date of 19 Feb 14, but driver showing via msinfo is 22/8/2013.

Obviously still freezing so I use an old mouse most of the time now.

• JackE

OK. Go back to device manager. Uninstall or delete the touchpad driver. Exit. Then shutdown. Cold reboot. Windows may detect the touchpad. Then try to install its own driver. Check device manager and sysinfo again for device errors and version consistency even if it's the old driver. If consistent with no errors, try it for awhile to see what happens.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ