E5-572G-5577 cannot properly work nvidia 840M 2GB dedicated VRAM

Options
ViktorZub
ViktorZub Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi, i recently bought Acer aspire E15 model E5-572G-5577 which came with i5-4210m (2.6 to 3.2Ghz),8GB RAM,Nvidia GeForce 840M 2GB dedicated VRAM,1TB HDD and freeDOS. Since i recieved Win8.1 x64 for my Birthday i bought this laptop without windows and installed 8.1, as Acer claims that fully supports this OS. Everything was ok in installation and i even installed HD4600 driver but when installed Nvidia driver although it looked ok and it was shown in device manager the graphic card wasnt show in my display (only HDGraphics) and in nvidia control panel i had only the 3D settings option but still it seems that 840M hasnt kicked in. I asume its the driver so after many attempt with different drivers i still have the same issue. The laptop is brand new and in OEM 8.1 it seems to work but not for all of us that have a bought copy of Windows. Please help me as i am very frustrated that i have wasted so much money on a Acer with 840M GPU that wont work.

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Have you tried to launch any 3D game to check if nvidia will be switched on automatically?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ViktorZub
    Options

I will try since i get to install Steam. I can't access to the Nvidia setting.I think there is an issue because i even cant see the 840m in power managment but i can see and set the HD Graphics (performance or power saving). Shouldn't i be able to manage the Graphic Card? I know that integrated work with dedicated Card, but the fact i can't control dedicated shows that there is something wrong. 

And ty for the fast reply.

• ViktorZub
    Options

And why should Nvidia automaticaly work when i launch the game? Isn't 840M external Graphic Card? HDGraphics is integrated not Nvidia.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

because of optimus technology.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11575/~/how-do-i-switch-to-my-nvidia-graphics-card%3F 

i don't know if BIOS has an option to switch manually the GPUs.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ViktorZub
    Options

Ok. it has optimun technology but why when i play a game and fewer graphics are needed, the nvidia goes off and HD graphicks take over? When again a fight begins nvidia increases power and works smoothly but in that second i have lag. That on/off  should be going during a game? Can Acer answer with more than 5 words? For the people who want to work just the Nvidia without the optimus technology is there a way ACER!!!! make a bios that has this option?

• ViktorZub
    Options

Ok I figured it out, everything is ok (Nvidia forum helped a lot), except that i want to have the option through BIOS so i'll wait for When and If Acer releases an update that solves this (not counting on that). Finaly during the game i have to disable Vsync, it still messes the image, it becomes glitchy and i don't know why.