E1-571 fan not speeding up in W7 x64 despite very high temps

Options
Glomp
Glomp Member Posts: 3 New User

My CPU is hitting around 90°. Inside of the laptop is clean, isn't a dust issue. Could probably do with reapplying thermal paste.

Most likely culprit, however, is the fan is not hitting full speed under Windows 7 x64 regardless of the CPU temps.

It works fine in the BIOS before the W7 splashscreen starts, so it isn't a problem with the fan itself, but as soon as W7 begins booting the speed drops substantially (I can only just tell it's spinning) then stays there. Given Acer's unusual way of handling their fans Speedfan and similar are no use as the fans don't show up.

I've updated to the latest BIOS and even tried installing the ePower application, but the problem is still there.

Anyone have any advice?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

You would probably benefit a lot by redoing the thermal paste. Others with the E1-571 have.

• Glomp
    Glomp Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

No doubt.

As I stated though, that won't be much use while the fans are almost idling despite temps being at 90 plus. The fact they run fine during post led me to believe it's a BIOS issue. Sure enough, I found this:

http://community.acer.com/t5/2014-Archives/e1-571-fan-problem-with-Bios-2-15/td-p/121045

I'm betting this is an issue running Windows 7 on machines with a 2.x BIOS.

I'm now wanting to downgrade to the last 1.x to see if I have any luck. Unsurprisingly you can't downgrade using the BIOS .exe from Acer. More annoyingly, the .fd file's incorporated into the .exe, so there's no easy way to extract it and try running a recovery flash.